Sorry for the delay.  Time got away from me (again...).  Here are a
consolidation of responses to my query re: who is networking their
library resources campus-wide, and what are they experiencing.  Most
people are very excited about the process, and find that it causes
few new problems.  The gist seems to be: it's simpler than you think,
and will be a very good thing.

Thank you to all who replied.  Once again I find this listserv
incredibly useful.

When teaching the use of our automated catalog, I take them to the lab.
WITH THE TEACHER PRESENT I talk them through the process of searching for a
book.  Having the teacher there means that that person quickly becomes more
knowledgable themselves, and later can help a student.  This really works!

We are school networked and to a certain extent District also.  I am
currently out in the classrooms &/or computer labs teaching search
strategies for our resources and the internet, in addition to what we
teach here in the library.  I have found the teachers to be most receptive
to giving me part of their class time to teach their students the search
and library skills information.

Students need lots less assistance as they are much less afraid of
technology than we, they help each other, they're ready to explore and keep
searching because they're usually much more successful in their search
(certainly than in card catalog days!). Students and faculty will use access
in the classroom and find what they need quickly or will come down to get
the magazine or article or book they have found.  I do a lot less
instruction in the library because research is more self-directed  - and
again, much more successful.  We now have INternet access also (as of this
week) via an ISDN line.  While I need to do instruction for faculty and
staff, students have access at home and jump right in with no problem, again
teaching and helping each other or asking for help when they need it. I
don't think I'm reneging on my job, but rather our job description has
changed. We are a "coach" a "guide on the side" rather than the "sage on the
stage".  I like this position myself.

To help students with remote access from their classrooms I used to
spend a week or two going to each classroom and working with rotating
groups to introduce them to the OPAC etc.  I would schedule each
classroom visit during a time when the teacher was working with small
groups anyway, staying about an hour or so.
The other possibility is to intensively train a couple of students from each
classroom to be mentors for their classmates.

I am really excited about the expanded access to the collection and that
is how I am presenting it to students and staff.  As computers, catalog
searching, CD-Roms, and the Internet move into classrooms, I think we
need to educate teachers how to use them effectively.  If students see
the teacher using the catalog to find materials, they will follow.
Informed teachers can assist students as they search for materials from
their classrooms.
I was really excited when a 2nd grade teacher (the
first day) sent two students down with a short list of titles and
call numbers for books she had found in the catalog in her classroom.
 This is how I envision it being used and I will highlight her use.
She got a jump on everyone else because they were valentine books!
If she talked and modeled this process with her students it was worth
weeks of my instruction (I only see them once a week).
We are running a multi platform network with DOS in the media center and
Mac Search Plus (Follett) in the classrooms.  I have one Mac on the
network in the Media Center and I am teaching on it so it will look the
same in their classrooms.
The bottom line is I expect the network to increase access, increase
circulation and increase excitement about the media center so they will
always need me!

Don't be afraid.  They still need to come to the LMC because they
still don't or can't remember how to access information!!!!!  But
they will be trying harder, so maybe it will sink in.  Our second
graders came everyday for about 4 months for 20 minutes, and they
learned best of all.  Make sure the sys op and you stay on good
terms.  Look out after our "school community's" information needs,
not the hardware.  You won't step on toes and you will compliment
each other.

Again--thanks for all the inspiring responses.  What a great group!!

Shannon Acedo
Assistant Librarian
Marlborough School
Los Angeles CA