Dear LM_Netters,
I work in a secondary school library in Pakistan where it can be very
difficult to obtain supplies and equipment. When I arrived here about 4
years ago, the library had just started getting ProQuest ResourceOne, with
the accompanying fiche. Although we now have SIRS, Ebsco's MAS Select, and
International CDNewsbank, I have continued to subscribe to ProQuest,
mostly for the fiche backup and add'l titles. My problem is this: the
library's 1st fiche reader-printer died and couldn't be repaired. I
ordered a new one which had to be ordered from the States as they are
prohibitively expensive here.  The new machine came malfunctioning and no
one has been able to repair it. Now it seems that there are very few
reader-printers available. The library has 60+ titles on fiche and nothing
to read them with. I know this is an outdated technology, but it seems a
shame to have this collection completely unavailable to students. Here's
my question: should I opt for a much cheaper reader only (which means
students won't want to use it as much since they wouldn't be able to
print) or try to obtain another reader-printer (and then have to deal with
the possible problem of having toner cartridges become unavailable)? Do
any of you have any thoughts/experience on how to deal with microfiche?
Please respond to me at:

kenkat@turnernet.sdnpk.undp.org

Thank you!
Kathy Turner