Hello to all, it has been another hectic year.  We were in negotiations with
the Board on a new contract, our Union was fighting to get language in the
contract to protect librarians and made it mandatory that each school be
allocated one librarian.  Our system is going to "teaming" at each school and
more local decision making.
Here is the bad news:
"The Board shall allocate to each team based elementary school funds equivalent
to art, music, physical education and a full time librarian.  Upon
recommendation of the ILT (instructional leadership team) the school may
utilize the funds allocated to these positions for another instructional
purpose or direct service to students."
"The Board shall allocate to each team based middle or junior high school funds
equivalent to a full-time librarian.  Upon recommendation of the ILT, the
school may utilize the funds allocated to these positions for another
instructional purpose or another direct service to students."
"The Board shall allocate to each team based high school funds equivalent to a
full time librarian and two full time guidance counselors.  Upon recommendation
of the ILT, the school may utilize the funds allocated to these positions for
another instructional purpose or another direct service to students."

In other words, they can decide to get rid of the librarian and use the salary
for another teacher, aides or supplies.  I am afraid that many schools will opt
for this.
Our Director of Quality Improvement said that the parents wanted this and that
it was too expensive to fund small libraries in small schools.
Our Superintendent is basing all of this teaming on plans from Edmonton,
Canada.  Does anyone have any information on this plan?
Our Union membership votes on Monday to accept or reject the contract.  I will
keep you informed.
Darlene Basone
Walnut Hills High School
Cincinnati Public Schools     basoneds@ucbeh.san.uc.edu