Hilda L. Jay
Collington
hlj002@ns1.wmc.car.md.us

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 15:57:04 -0800
From: "Michael D. Leahy" <michael.d.leahy@snet.net>
To: "Hilda L. Jay" <hlj002@ns1.wmc.car.md.us>
Subject: LM_NET inquiry

Dear Hilda,
I wonder if you can establish an LM_NET inquiry for me, either in your
name, or directly citing mine.  I'm now at the point of thinking about
the technical formulation of the "computer laboratory" and its linkage
with the rest of a setup in the LMC.  While I have not YET been visited
by any architect or representatives regarding the proposed renovation, it
is likely that such will occur within a couple of months.  The text would
be as follows:

I would appreciate any recommendations regarding the design of computer
networking for a 30-station computer laboratory to be installed in a
relocated library media center in a 1,100-student high school.  This
laboratory is to be used by all subject areas for word processing and for
subject-specific software (floppy and CD-ROM programs), such as chemistry
laboratory work, as well as for access to the library media center's
electronic catalog and other networked information sources. Additionally,
the network for this laboratory is intended to service about 10-12
computer workstations in the LMC proper (including the main floor, the
circulating desk, a processing workroom, and an office).  The computer
hardware is to be IBM-clone-based, likely networked with Novell software.
A pre-existing circulation system (Winnebago) is to be transferred over
for use in this network, along with the networked versions of SIRS
Researcher and Information Access Company's InfoTrac Super TOM+ and
Health Reference Center.  My specific questions include the following.
What will be an appropriate integrated productivity network package
(including word processing) to acquire?  What is a good-quality menu
software package for managing the whole of the network (including the
computer laboratory and all other work stations)?  What recommendations
can be made about security protection of the network, particularly in the
environment of the computer laboratory?  Given that it is likely that
upwards of 21 or more CD-ROM discs will be operated by this network, what
advice can be given regarding equipment configuration and operation
issues?  What other recommendations can be offered, from experience with
the setup and operation of an extensive, multi-purpose network in a
library media center?  Thank you, in advance, for any assistance
provided.

I hope this will prove useful!  Thanks for your help!  MIKE

LM_NET Archive Home