At 05:50 PM 3/23/97 EST, you wrote:
>I am a librarian at a PreK-5th grade elementary school.  I have
>been using Winnebago online card catalog with my 3rd-5th
>graders for 3 years.  My question is about using it with
>primary students.  Does anyone have any suggestions for
>teaching first graders and second graders how to use it?  Is it
>too hard for them?  What about their ability to use the info
>from the online cat to find the book on the shelf?
>
>I would appreciate any ideas anyone has.
>
>Lanor G. Ward

I am interested in this also.  I'd like to add some questions.  Then, I can
work on a HIT, if you'd share ideas with me, and I can post it sometime
before summer, or, Lanor, we could work together, if you like!

I also have Winnebago.  At the beginning of the year (this is my third year
here), I go through instructions on how to check out, check in, etc.  This
year, I didn't have as much time to devote to it as I'd like, and I can tell
a big difference in the mistakes kids make.  We're having lots more problems
with "red screens".  So, I want to take more time next year, and be more
explicit in my instructions.  But, before I post a "target" request, I'd
like to make sure I'm asking all the questions I need to be asking.  Here's
my first draft of questions.  Read them, and ask any you think I've left
out.  Then, send them to me, I'll revise my "target" and send it out again.
I'd like to set a DEADLINE of April 5 for the target questions.  Then, I'll
compile them, send out my hit, with a new deadline for the responses.  That
way, I can get it compiled over the summer and post it before school starts.
How does that sound?

Here are my questions:

Circulation:

1.  At what grade level do you allow kids to scan their own books?

2.  What procedures do you explain and how?

3.  How many class sessions do you use to explain check-in/check-out?

4.  What kind of signs or memory aids do you post with explanations of
checkout procedures? (ex:  I have a 4 step sign inside each class folder:
1.  Scan your name  2.  Scan your book's barcode   3.  Scan the check out
barcode   4.  Go stamp your book

5.  Where do you post these signs?  (on the computer, in the class folder, etc?)

6.  How do you organize your students' barcodes?  On Rolodex?  In class folders?

7.  At what age do you give a student a library card with a barcode, or do
you do that?

8.  Who checks in the class' books?  Do you take up books first thing in the
morning or wait until the class arrives?

9.  How many books do you allow students to check out?

Catalog:

1.  At what age do you teach card catalog?

2.  Do you teach different steps at different age levels?

3.  Do you start the year with basics and add during the year?  In that
case, in what order do you teach things?

Personal Information:

1.  Please include your name, school size, and grade levels.  Are you the
only one, or do you have an aide?

Student Help:

1.  Do any elementary schools use student help?  If so, how old are the
students?  What do you allow them to do?  Do they help only during their
library periods, or when do they come in?

I know there are many more questions we could ask, but I am giving you these
quickly to trigger your memories.  Let me know more I should include, ok?
I'd really like to know what works.  I know there are lots of ways Icould
improve my routine.

Thanks for your input!

           Suby Wallace                         email:  swallace@nic.crsc.k12.ar.us
           Nettleton Intermediate Center        fax:  501-930-3930
                 (5-6 grades)                   phone:  501-932-5650
           3801 Vera                               (area code changing to 870 in
           Jonesboro, AR 72401                          April)

LM_NET Archive Home