I would like to thank all the people who responded to my question about
circulation systems.  I was quite upset when the child moved with seven
library books ( I am billing the parents).   I was amazed by the number of
people who wrote.  I read all the letters and really enjoyed the responses,
not to mention the wonderful support I felt.  I couldn't believe how many
truly creative ways there are for organizing circulation.  Responses
included:  file cards behind teeacher names ( it seems most people ldo
that), creat a database, using book pockets with student names on them and
having students put checkout cards in them, using a library card system,
filing cards by Dewey numbers, using a "name card system" etc.  I don't
think many people use the date due system like I do.  I will be automating
in a couple of years and I think between now and then I will change my way
of filing cards.  I'm going to spend some time rereading your letters and
devising a new system.  In addition to giving me new ideas about
circulation, you responses helped me put overdues in perspective.  One
person said, "It depends on what is important to you."  When I read that, I
thought of all my other roles - especially that of teacher.  Overdue books
usually come back, but a student's view of the library may always affect
his attitude toward books and lifelong reading.  My goal has always been to
have each student view the library as a friendly, helpful place and to help
them develop a love of reading.  I don't want students and teachers to feel
that I am only interested in overdue books and lost books.  Thanks again
you for your suggestions and support.  It was great!

Pamela J. Hunter, Stony Creek Elementary School
1105 Blackmore Ct.
Ambler, PA 19002                215-628-1777
e-mail phunter@micunix.mciu.k12.pa.us

LM_NET Archive Home