Pat,
        I'm replying to the whole group, because periodically this
question is asked.  The quotation is from Pastor Martin Neimoeller:

        "In Germany, the Nazis came for the Communists, and I didn't
speak up because I wasn't a Communist.  Then they came for the Jews, and
I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.  Then they came for the trade
unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.  Then
they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a
Protestant.  Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one
left to speak for me."

Another appropriate quote when teaching about the Holocaust,(although it
is from an earlier time), is Edmund Burke's:

        "The only thing necessary fro the triumph of evil is for good men
to do nothing."

        I'm sorry my response is four days late, but I'm behind in
reading my e-mail.
                        Sandy Grasfield, Kennedy Middle School, Natick, MA
                        grasfiel@meol.mass.edu
On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, Patricia Tanner Johnson wrote:

> Somewhere I read a quotation which I think was from a protestant minister
> in Europe after World War II about "when they came to arrest the Jews I
> didn't speak up because I was not a Jew ... when they came to arrest me
> there was nobody left to speak up."  Does anyone have the full text or
> know where it can be found?  TIA
>
> Pat Johnson                         Phone: 210-969-6870
> Library Coordinator                 Fax:   210-969-6871
> P.O. Box 266                        email: ptj@tenet.edu
> Weslaco, TX 78599-0266

LM_NET Archive Home