Julie,
Don't be intimididated by an intelligent techno-vandal.  I taught gifted for
many years, and the bottom line is that being intelligent doesn't have any
relation to morality and ethics.  The key word is vandalism; and whether
done with a rock, spray can, or computer it is still the same.  Insist that
the punishment be commensurate with the act of vandalism and that some form
of compensation be included for any damage he/she's done.  Scrubbing
graffitti for a few weeks might help him get his behaviour in perspective.

I'm sorry you're going through this!  I really don't have a lot to offer,
but when we're had email problems with kids we have cut off their email
for a month and they get a demerit penalty which will restrict them to
campus for a week (we're a boarding school) and have to go to both our 7
AM - 9 AM Saturday detention study hall.  Two years ago I had trouble with
an arrogant kid who kept screwing around with our computers in the library
(changing "things" - I don't know much now...but I knew a lot less then!)
He lost his privileges to use library computers for anything other than
using the OPAC - no word processing in here (we do have a lab).  I would
think that a parent conference should be in order with you and your
principal.  What about some peer pressure?  Could that help?  I'm sorry I
don't have more to offer.  Good luck!

 a very similar problem.  I started asking this person's advice on
various matters, asked his opinion on what software would be good, asked
him to help me install software, etc.  I even let him tell me how to do
a few things that I knew how to do, but it made him feel important so I
didn't let on.  He became very protective of the library's computers
because he had invested some time on their maintenance.
He and I are very good friends now and I really hate to see him graduate
this year.  Good luck with yours....

Julie,  Is there some sort of "project" that you can give him to do?  Sort
of a community helper kind of thing. Perhaps setting up a web page for your
school or district?  Working with students who are doing internet research?
Making a list of cool/useful/subject oriented web sites for students or
teachers to check out?  If not at your library, now about the public
library? Or a local college?
Our public library has printed lists of web sites for parents to look at
with their kids. Could he come up wth something like that?
Maybe he could be on-call at the library or lab during a certain period for
people who need help. Of course, any inappropriate behavior would be dealt
with immediately.
He obviously is proud of his knowledge.  Make him share it!

Whew .  Good Luck.  Although I don't envy you,  I have found for the most
part the kids who act like real jerks with their friends are for the most
part very different one on one.  And kudos to your principal for suggesting
it.  I probably would have avoided the student for the rest of his career,
if a principal did not force us together.

Let us know what the outcome is!

Well, the best thing I can think to do is to recognize his expertise and
have him teach you some things you want to know,.

 Julie,
        I am the LMT at San Mateo High School in California.  I have had quite
a few of the students like you mentioned.  My advice is tell the
principal that yu will not meet with him.  That he clearly "broke the
rules" and must suffer the consiquences.  Swift and rapid punishment has
worked well at keeping the kids here in line.  First offense:  Loss of
computer privilages for a week (if it's something really bad, I have
banned kids for the whole year!).  Second offense:  To the dean with a
referral.  Third offense:  Permanant loss of computer privilages (one
kid that was too smart for his own good was banned from the library the
whole year.  When his mom complained we told her there are public
libraries where he could get access, but since he clearly broke the
rules of the AUP Contract, he would have to suffer the consiquences.  As
an aside, he eventually was expelled from this school because he was
caught "breaking into the school" by the silent alarms.  When the police
got to him, he was trying to use a laptop computer he brought with him
with an encryption program to tap into the computer system here and
change his grades!!!  Get rid of these kids before it gets bad!
                                Amber

Whether or not he knows more than you about computers has nothing to do with
the lack of respect and stupidity of his actions.  A prank like this should
be dealt with severely - I hope the parents of this charmer are going to be
at the conference, plus your principal.  It should be made clear that
expulsion, or at least suspension is being considered, and if there is no
remorse and offers for community service (make him shelve books) you will
follow through.  You must have the support of the principal, of course.  Be
tough and fair; it's the only way to earn respect.
George

I don't recall any incredibly nasty e-mail in our media center, but I can
offer support from some experiences we've had.
Our kids, grades 10 - 12, have been incredibly computer savvy over the years.
 Many were offspring of high tech military parents.  They could and did
outsmart us and our technicians often.
Things have changed.  Our tech support became more sophisticated.  We've
become more knowledgeable.  Those kids graduated.  The military base closed,
and fewer high tech families remained.
Did your student do anything illegal?  While we may be reluctant to take such
a step, if the law has been broken, it's important that the student be
educated that this is not something to be done with impunity.  It would be
quite appropriate to bring charges in some instances of such abuse, and young
adults should be taught how close they are to not having the hallowed status
of innocence protect them in the 15 or so short months before they graduate.
If nothing illegal, certainly highly enforced discipline is in order, I
think.  I cannot imagine why your administrator thinks you should meet with
this rude student.  . .
Anyway, for what the above is worth, you have my support for being strict
about the rules.

r Julie-I had to respond for several reasons 1. born in Hamilton, and
raised in Livingston and probably will never get 'home' again...
2. seems as though this is a situation for the counselors to get
involved in as well  3. why the 'forced' interaction between you and the
student?  wouldn't it be a bit better to find out the why of his/her
anamosity (since there was only the one, then your being strict is not
really his/her reason...)am I making sense?

At any rate, good luck, and I'd love to hear from a fellow Montanan
every so often

We pull their privelege of using computers on campus for the school year
or longer.  Period. No appeal. No second chance.
Julie Radtke, Librarian
Loyola Sacred Heart High School
320 Edith
Missoula, MT 59801