Hi,

I think I need a few words of encouragement.  I got my MLS in August of '96
but stayed home a year due to family obligations.  I am REALLY ready to go
back to work.

During March and early April, I sent applications to 6 districts in my area.
(I live in Grapevine, TX and have to stick close to home.)  I applied only
for positions at the middle or high school level because my teaching
experience is at that level, and I feel that I deal best with those age
groups.  I do not have library experience, but I taught high school math for
9 years.

I have not heard from any of the districts except for a card confirming
receipt of my application, which some of them did send.  Each district made
it clear in their application instructions that they (the district) would
get in touch if they wanted to schedule an interview. I felt it was a pretty
clear "don't call us, we'll call you."  I know for sure that 2 of the
districts have an opening at the secondary level, and I have been told that
2 of the others are pretty sure to have openings.  The remaining 2 I'm not
sure of.

I am starting to panic.  Is it too soon for districts to be filling
positions?  I thought they would be looking to fill known vacancies by now.
I would really appreciate any wisdom or moral support on this.  I know it is
early, but I need and want to start planning for next school year as soon as
possible.

Thanks,

Ruth Hindes
unemployed