Our district is split about 70%-30% Mac-Windows, i.e. Macs K-8 and a mix of
both 9-12. With a technology bond project we recently requested bids for
hardware and the results were fascinating. Apple came in lower than Mac
clones, and comparably configured Macs were cheaper than both Compaqs and
the PC clones that bid.

I recently hosted a district technology workshop showing off pilot projects
prepared by 14 teams of teachers. We pulled different kinds of Macs from
around the district, brought in an assortment of LCD panels, scan
converters to connect TVs, etc. This hodge-podge of over 20 computers and
other equipment was set up and in working order in less than an hour. I
wouldn't have even contemplated something of this magnitude in my former
"True Blue" IBM district.

For a good laugh, see David Pogue's column "Why Windows is Doomed" in the
June 1997 issue of _MacWorld_.

* Peter Butts                 * "...one man gathers what         *
* East Middle School          *     another man spills."         *
* 373 E. 24th St.             *                                  *
* Holland, MI 49423           *  http://www.macatawa.org/~ems/   *
* pbutts@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *   MEL--http://mel.lib.mi.us/     *