I've been following the "demise" of Mac for some time, both in the press
and on this newsgroup. Most of what I've read so far seems to be a repeat
of what I've read in the press. It's interesting to hear the educator
side of the argument, especially considering the long history of Apple in
schools.

Apple has made a lot of dumb mistakes, both in marketing and in
technology. Personally, I believe their present condition is due to a lot
of factors, but the most outstanding is greed. They came up with a GREAT
OS in 1984 and sat on it -- and on a lot of money as it poured in from a
small group of Mac users who seemed willing to pay premium prices for the
overprice Mac. They patched up the OS as technology advanced without
really improving it (how many "Inits" display at the bottom of *your*
screen as your Mac boots! Just how big is your "Extensions" folder?). In
true American tradition, instead of improving the engineering of the OS
itself, they just stuffed in a larger engine (RISC). Now, even that
cannot push the OS fast enough. Hence the "Next" purchase). IMHO.

Market share? 7.5% is more accurate if you compare all computers using
the Mac OS with all computers using WIN. I use both--plus Unix (if you
want to talk about a *real* OS!). Does anybody REALLY want to see the
WinTel hegemony dominate the market? (Shudder!) IBM, where are you now
that we need you!

The best technology doesn't always survive in our so-called free-market.
The key word here, of course, is "market". The survivor, be it cars or
computers, is the one with the most convincing salesmen, marketing dept.
(and, might I add, the lowest scruples, it seems) A mediocre product
helps -- almost anybody will reject *real* trash. If great technology was
all it took to survive, we'd most of us be using Amigas, driving Tuckers,
going to work on the original light-rails (trolleys) and watching our
movies on laser-videodiscs or Beta VCRs!

Expanding the automobile analogy, Macdonalds sells more "product" than
anybody else. Do they have the best food? What percentage of the market
do the best restaurants have? There is still a niche for Mac. Almost
*all* print and multimedia producers still use Macs. A writer in
Hollywood wrote to tell us that everyone he knows uses Macs.

The Internet is about 84% Unix, by the way. There are other platforms
that ARE surviving without using *either* Mac or Win. My web-page is now
put up without using either Windows or Mac or Intel products!

http://www.geocities/Athens/Acropolis/6166

These "platforms" are a very, very small percentage of the WinTel bloc,
but they do survive very well in their own little niches (did you know
you >can< still buy an Amiga! -- now owned by Gateway, BTW).

Sadly, however, Apple is losing market share, even in schools (especially
in ours). The WinTel juggernaut is "WIN-ning" the hearts and minds of the
general, gullible public.

With 25 million users and $15 billion in the bank, Mac isn't dead, yet.

Garry Jantzen
Marshfield High School
Coos Bay, OR 97420
garriej@marshfield.coosbay.k12.or.us