How about "women?"  I'm really tired of groups of women being referred to
as "gals."  Peter really deserves the recognition; he can be referred to
as a "man."  All of the people selected can be referred to as "fellows."
In the scholarly community the term "fellow"  is not necessarily gender
specific.  It seems particularly distasteful to play around with
diminutives in attempting to specify a group of professional women.
              Janice Weihs, Peninsula HS Library, Gig Harbor, WA