Here is a list of responses for middle school mythology books.
Thanks to all!

Bernard Evslin's Hero's Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths is
pretty good and it includes a section on words from the Greek Myths.
I do not recommend Bullfinch or Edith Hamilton for this age group.
Although they are very comprehensive, they are pretty dry. I am a
former Latin teacher but all my stuff is in storage and I dont have
access to it, I know there are several choices, definitely read one
of the stories and see how exciting it is before buying. Its such an
interesting subject that it would be sad not to make it fun for the
kids. Let me know if you need any internet sites as I have a
pathfinder of those.
                        e-mail: babarr@acsu.buffalo.edu

I want to give you the name of a company our school has used often
when we needed classroom sets of inexpensive paperbacks.  I would be
a bit surprised if they couldn't help you.

THE BOOKSOURCE
1230 Macklind Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63110
1-800-444-0435

You might like Edith Hamilton's _Mythology_.  I don't know the price.

I just processed two books today that might meet your needs.  I'm
clearing a backlog of materials from my office so don't know where or
when these were purchased.  1. Gods, demigods, and Demons an
encyclopedia of Greek mythology, by Bernard Evslin. $2.95.  From
Scholastic, 1975.  2. The greek gods by Bernard Evslin, $2.95
from Scholastic 1966.   Looking at the copyright dates I see that
these are old.  You might contact  Scholastic and see if they have
anything newer or if these are still in print.

You might check into Edith Hamilton's Mythology. It comes in
paperback and contains Greek, Roman and Norse myths.

How about _Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths_ by
Bernard Evslin.  The price is $5.99.  I know it's over $5.00 but not by
much.  The mysths are told in story format - fun to read.  Edith
Hamilton, of course, is the myth-master, but I think her material may be
more high school level.

Favorite Greek Myths, retold byMaryPope Osborne-Scholastic,1989 was
4.95 when I purchased it a couple of years ago.  Beautiful, easy to
read, large size , trade paper.  sally

We use a paperback called Gods and Goddess of mythology by Eslin and
published by Scholastic.

My 6th grade students study Greek mythology as part of their ancient
history studies. In fact, just this morning one teacher requested the
mythology collection. You didn't say if you wanted stories from all
kinds of mythology, (Norse, etc.) but if you can get by with just
Greek mythology, Scholastic has a selection of titles in paperback,
some are also available in a reinforced paperback (try Covercraft,
Turtleback,etc. catalogs). The Scholastic ones would fit into your
budget - about $4 each. If you get bookfair credit, you could get
them at no cost. "Greek Gods and Godesses" is the title of one.  This
is a collection of stories or a "Who's who" of gods with the basic
stories about each.

Tisha Petree, Librarian
California Middle School
205 South Owen Street