Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 19:54:35 -0700
From: Gwen Solomon <gwen@gsn.org>
Subject: What's New

What's New on The Well Connected Educator
http://www.gsh.org/wce

What is it like to have an on-line writing coach?
What is it like to be one?

Read "Collaborating on Collaborative Internet Learning: An Author and a
Coach Discuss Their Process"

and read "Collaborative Internet Learning: Strategies and Success Stories,"
the article that sparked the collaboration.=20

What else can you do?

WRITE an article.

You can write your own article about what you do in the classroom and earn
a stipend too.

TELL the government what you think.

The government's plan to put technology into schools is based on four
pillars -- wiring, computers, software, and professional development. In
our May forum, answer: What do we need after Net Days? Are refurbished
computers a good idea? Is the Internet all we need? And How can a volunteer
effort work?

ENTER a web site contest.

Submit your favorite web site (for classroom use or professional
development) into our Teachers' Choice contest and if it=92s accepted, you=
=92ll
be eligible to win a prize in a random drawing. Prizes for May are from
Decision Development Corporation, Palatine Inc., and Gessler Publishing
Company Inc. There are nine chances to win in May.

READ articles about

A study that says that today's teens are more likely to give up their
televisions than their computers.

Creating an on-line exhibit based on the Illinois State Museum exhibit "At
Home in the Heartland."

Dealing with the issues that face educators as we teach and learn how to
interact with this new electronic medium.

Using a new channel of communications that has opened up on the web with
voices filling that channel.

A proposal for an on-site technological guru who will make sure that
technology does make a difference in the school.

A program designed to teach geometry can be used to make trigonometry come
alive.

A meeting where the stories were in French and Arabic, participants drank
mint tea from gold decorated glasses, and three times daily out of the din
of the city came the long, slow call to prayer at the mosque.

Visit The Well Connected Educator=20
http://www.gsh.org/wce

Gwen Solomon
gwen@gsn.org=20