I do it every year with grades 1-6 and have had great success.  I was
lucky to get all the leftovers from a used bookstore going out of
business, so I had a couple of hundred books besides the ones brought
in.  Usually I collect between 800 and 1200 from students.  They are made
to understand that for Easy fiction books brought in they are only
allowed to take out Easy fiction.  Lots and lots of kids are tired of
their Goosebumps books and donate a bundle of them knowing they will get
other great books in exchange.  So I get lots of happy customers.  They
ask me all year long when we are going to do the Paperback Book Exchange
again.  I only do it once a year, about 3 weeks after the last Book Fair
of the year so they'll have time to read their new purchases and decide
to trade them in for something they haven't read.

Mary Lynne Jarvis, Librarian, grades K-6
Ozark South Elementary School
Ozark,MO
mjarvis@mail.orion.org

On Sat, 3 May 1997, Peter Godoy wrote:

> We've done a book swap at our K-5 school for a few year now.  Our most
> recent attempt was the worst--too few books brought in, kids who brought in
> 20 books wanted to take 20 books, 5th graders who brought in Golden Books
> wanted Goosebumps & Animorphs and there weren't any.  Anything that could
> go wrong did.  Just be prepared.  IMHO, it's one of those great ideas that
> just doesn't work.  I'm not sure we'll do it again.
>
> Donna Godoy, Librarian
> Hage Elementary
> San Diego USD
> PGODOY1@san.rr.com