From:   School Library Media & Network Communications  On Behalf Of horn_jim
Sent:   Wednesday, April 30, 1997 7:41 PM
To:     LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject:        Re: TECH: Demise of Apple/Macintosh?

I've often thought an interesting study could be done to explore the
connection between platform preference and learning style. I would guess
that Macpeople will be global and that PCpeople will be analytic. Any
other guesses?  But as we know, learning styles are not nearly as static
as platforms.  Someday soon I think that most of the resources we use
will be Web based, so that will simplify matters perhaps.  In the
meantime, I find it much easier to connect PCs to an Mac network running
Appleshare than to connect Macs to a Novell or to an NT network. I know
that there are still those who think that Appleshare is slow, but if you
are running a LAN no larger than a school, I don't think you will notice
an appreciable difference--except in set-up and administration, of course.
I don't know of many SLMSs who have the time, money, or inclination to
become certified in NT or Novell.
Perhaps if Jobs displaces Amelio, we will once again see some foresight
to go with all the money that Apple has (laying or lying) around.

Jim Horn
Asst. Prof.
Palmer School
LIU