Hi:
I chair the Metropolitan Toledo Educational Purchasing Association
Library Committee and yes we have had dealings with Group Subscription
Service.  They will indeed appear to save a great deal of money but can
not supply various journal magazines as well as some general titles.
Their reasoning is that they are an educator and student magazine
agency.  Titles, which they do not receive a discount, they will not
list.  They told me over the phone that they would encourage schools to
deal with several clearinghouses for magazines as opposed to a one-stop-shop.

They also will change the mailing label to the librarians name verses the
school title when the order is placed and then once the school starts
receiving the magazine, they will make follow-up adjustments.  This could
be a nightmare when renewals are involved.

As a purchasing association, we received bids from the following:
Black Magazine Agency
EBSCO
GROUP
Popular

Each one had different list prices so it was difficult to start the
examination of their quotes from the same playing field.

Good Luck

Keith Fisher
Port Clinton High School
Port Clinton, Ohio USA
PCHS_ST_KF@noeca.ohio.gov

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Silvia Meder Lilly wrote:

> Hello all - After comparing the prices of 37 magazine titles, I am
> considering not using Ebsco next year (they were more than $300
> higher).  Does anyone have experience with Group Subscription Services
> out of Brooklyn, NY?  Any other suggestions?  TIA - Silvia
> Lillyt @crisny.org

LM_NET Archive Home