Kay,
Some of these will definitely depend on the types of events you plan. These
21 words also end in -ship:

meaning "art or skill of":
        horsemanship ("horse" races, perhaps older student "horse" pulling
                younger student in wagon?)
        showmanship (impromptu acting, or perhaps best magic trick?)
        penmanship (chalk "penmanship," perhaps?)
        swordsmanship ("sword & shield," perhaps light sabres a la Star
                Wars?)

meaning "state or quality of":
        stewardship (care of fragile, breakable things? variation of egg
                toss?)
        hardship (something dealing with hard vs. soft objects? Ask science
                teacher!)
        ownership (matching things with student who owns them, perhaps?)

(Source: The NEW Reading Teacher's Book of Lists by Fry, fountoukidis, and
Polk; Prentice-Hall, Inc., copyright 1985)

Or, how about:

        airmanship (paper airplane, bubble blowing, or blowing-up-balloon
                contests, perhaps?)
        partnership (contest requiring a partner--like sack racing?)
        statesmanship (contest requiring getting and sorting symbols of
                states into stacks?)
        governorship (sorting synbols of governors, or drawing quick, funny
                sketches of the governor?)
        championship (a contest for the winners of all the other contests?)
        marksmanship (drawing with markers, or "pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey
                with markers instead of pins?)
        craftsmanship (putting together items the fastest--perhaps
                prefab--or one of the puzzles with round/square/etc. pegs
                to go in the correctly shaped holes?)
        friendship (a contest where friends work together, or friends
                compete against each other?)
        dealership (fastest dealer of a particular type of card--all the
                7's or all red cards or all odd-numbered cards, etc.?)
        midship ("boat" racing contest, or contests finding the middle of
                things?)
        scholarship (contest with play money, or matching major or local
                sports teams with schools or colleges?)
        seamanship (contests involving getting wet--tossing water
                balloons back and forth, hitting a "target" with water
                guns?)
        fellowship (something involving food--or perhaps the overall name
                of the field day activities?)
        township (make a miniature maze of some of your city streets & have
                a toy car race, or put "large" city buildings or
                landmarks along a race track?)
        receivership (egg toss type contest with nerf-type footballs,
                balls, etc.?)

Good luck! Hope this helps! I worked for 3 years in an elementary school.

Linda Wilkinson
Media Coordinator
New Bern High School
cn2535@coastalnet.com
New Bern, NC
(home) cn2459@coastalnet.com

Kay Weisman wrote:

> Our school is looking for -ship words to use as team names for field day.
> We have come up with:
>         Citizenship, friendship, partnership, sportsmanship, leadership,
>         membership, and gamesmanship
>
> The public library tried looking in their suffix dictionary for additional
> words, but -ship wasn't included.  Can anyone help me think of more?  TIA
>
> Kay Weisman, Librarian
> Willowbrook Elementary School
> 2500 Happy Hollow Road
> Glenview, Illinois  60025