I said the same things when I was at the elementary school. In addition,
since some students mentioned God when pointing out the "dirty" pictures,
I said that if they chose to tell God in their prayers that He made
"dirty people," they could do so--but I definitely was not! When a parent
mentioned nude pictures in medical books, etc., I pointed out that I
would rather a child saw a picture when he wanted to know about such
things so an adult could explain or answer questions rather than have the
child go behind the parent's back to satisfy his or her curiosity with a
real person outside the family. A picture in a book is a lot safer for
the child to learn from! And children are usually very practical and will
play it safe if allowed to do so.

Linda Wilkinson
Media Coordinator
New Bern High School
New Bern, NC
(home) cn2459@coastalnet.com

Pat Bartoshesky wrote:

> Diane Averett asks about dealing with a student who colored in a "fig
> leaf" (red marker) in the encyclopedia. I am lucky that so far the
> students have brought the books to me, expecting that I would do the
> honors.
>
> I have had lots of loud comments and sniggers this week about
> pictures in National Geographic - women with uncovered breasts, Papua New
> Guinea etc. They (all boys) have been pretty receptive to a three part
> message: 1) this is culturally acceptable there; 2) it wouldn't be
> appropriate here; 3) it is inappropriate and unbecoming for *us* to laugh
> at *them*.
>
> :)    Pat Bartoshesky            Saint Edmond's Academy (Gr.4-8, boys only)
> :)    <pbarto@udel.edu>          2120 Veale Rd.  Wilmington DE 19810-4199
> :)     302-475-5370              FAX: 302-475-2256

LM_NET Archive Home