On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Patricia Melville wrote:
> Lately my e mail is barraged with  commercial free sex offers or how
> to make millions.  How do I get rid of these?

I suggest complaining to the spammer's Internet servcie provider.  Here
are a couple of web pages which I think you and many others will find
helpful, following Dale Copps's excellent format for posting web-site URLs
and information:

<http://www.ilf.net/brotherhood/texts/txt/htsamb.html>
"Surviving Abusive Repetitive Email Messages on the Internet
 (a.k.a. Spam Mail and Mail Bombs)"
This page's topics include, but are not limited to:
* Putting An End to the Mail-Bomber's Escapades
* Discovering Detailed Information About the Mail-Bomber
* Discovering Detailed Information About the Mail-Bomber's Internet
  Service Provider
* Gathering Motives and Other Evidence
* Contacting the System Administrators
* Checklist For Your Response to an Internet Mail-Bombing
(Christopher D. Reagoso, Brotherhood of Darkness, "an organization of
 hackers, phreakers, and programmers who have come together to share in
 knowledge and information.")

<http://www.feist.com/~wprescott/campaign.html>
"Sites that Campaign to Stamp out SPAM and Internet Abuse"
This page includes approximately 50 links to anti-spam sites of varying
degrees of quality and thoroughness.
(Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email, or CAUCE, "an
 all-volunteer, ad hoc coalition of Internet users, network technology
 professionals, and Internet Service Provider administrators")

Good luck!

Gabe

GABE GANCARZ, TEACHING ASSISTANT         UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS
Learning Resources [Computer] Lab              2nd-Year Student
GRAD SCHOOL OF L.I.S.                        GRADUATING MAY '98
http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~gancarz/            Ph. (217) 333-9890
gancarz@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu                  Fax (217) 244-3302

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/