LM_NETTERS:

I promised a hit on what I could find out about the MERCED chip.  It is
being developed by Hewlett Packard and Intel.

Thanks to the generous clues from several of you, I have been able to
put together a slide that gives the basic information for my upcoming
presentation.  I do believe that this chip will be a breakthrough and a
paradigm shift for us in what we can expect computers to do.  In the two
speeches I have been lucky enough to hear Bill Gates give, he is eagerly
looking to the day of computer voice recognition with no "glitches."  I
think this new round of computer will do just that. it will have the
capacity to synthesize all of that sound data.

Anyway, a few other facts about the MERCED:

--7 times number of transisters
--clock speed up to 1000 MHz
--To be shipped in 1999
--less expensive and more effecient way to build processors
--Uses 0.18 technology

Here are some of the sites that have more information for those of you
who are interested and want to check the above data for a quote:

http://www.tdi.net/aeonflux/p7.html
http://www.hartnell.cc.ca.us/hacnc/newsletter/merced.html
http://www.pentium.com/search.htm    29 short articles

Someone mentioned a couple of new processors with code names
 Klamuth
 Deschu???
 Ziffnet

I know nothing about these, but it would be good to know about if any of
us see them in print.

I keep thinking with each new development we are in such a wonderful
age.  In the paper today there was a quote about "MOORE'S LAW."  It says
something like:

Every 18 months we need a new computer because the power of computer
chips has doubled in effeciency while, at the same time, the price of
the previous generation is reduced by half.

Anyway, we know we can never keep up, but we must plug along and do the
best we can with what we have.

Nancy Graf
Director, LMC
Hanford Middle/High School
Richland, WA
Homepage:  http://revolution.3-cities.com/~ngraf/
email:  Ngraf@3-cities.com

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/