Hi, all.
I'm putting together some notes on the different WWW search engines and their
unique features/advantages/disadvantages so I'll have something my teachers
and students can refer to to make their research a little easier. I'm getting
things from conferences I've attended, postings on this list, and articles in
journals. I just opened my newest issue of Yahoo! Internet Life and found
this great search engine I'd never heard of called Northern Light. Check it
out at http://www.northernlight.com. It includes a "Special Collection" which
is a a fee-based menu of 1,800 journal articles, reference works and books
(there's a charge to order the entire document in some cases). It's the
special collection that sets this one apart from the other engines. I did a
search on the physicist Alessandro Volta and got 524 hits. The neat part is,
to the right of the screen I saw that it had arranged my results into 12
custom search folders. Some were: Batteries, Personal pages, Italian sites,
Commercial sites, Physics, Electromagnetics, Magill Survey of Science, etc.
You click on a folder and it gives you THOSE results. In the hit list (before
you click to reach the site) it gives you the brief intro and the address.
With the address it tells you what kind of site it is before you go to it.
Example: Italian site, Educational site, Government site, Commercial site.
My next search was for head lice, which revealed 1,553 hits. The folders were
again arranged by topic, and I noticed that one of them was
"www.headliceinfo.com," so it'll even arrange the hits by a particular
organization's website. Cool. I can see a real timesaver in this if one
learns to use it properly. I plan to continue playing.
Jody
Jody Gerlock, Librarian, Upper School        phone (609) 924-6700 ext. 241
Princeton Day School                                    fax (609) 924-7278
P.O. Box 75, The Great Road              email: Jody_Gerlock@pds.k12.nj.us
Princeton, NJ 08542

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/