> Date:    Tue, 4 Nov 1997 19:40:01 -0500
> From:    Peter Salesses <salesses@NECA.COM>
> Subject: TECH: MAC or PC Where do I go?
>
> Hello lm_netters,
> I have been down this road before, but not since Apple took the Chrysler
> route.  I need to buy a faster computer, do I go MAC or yuck! Windows?  I
> can use either environment if I have to, but I'd rather do MACS.  This is
> for my home rather than work.  Our children are in a good quality school
> sytem so they know both.  I've read all the recommendations both PC and
> Apple, but now would like to hear from you.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Peter Salesses

Peter,

What I've done is both!  Well, sort of.  I purchased a Mac PowerBook 3400
with 48 MB Ram and am running Virtual PC(WIN95).  This allows me to have
access to ANY software that I might need to use or preview.  Afterall, it's
the curriculum which should drive this decision.  You need to decide what
you application for the machine will be before you make this type of
decision.

As too your concern about  speed, the PB 3400 is a _very_ fast machine,
faster than many desktop machines.  With Apple's recent price drops (always
happens before a new model is released  (ie. the G3 machines which will be
out by the end of this month.))  you can get this machine at a reasonable
cost.  And you can't beat the mobility of a laptop.  There are also a few
companies making internal Zip drives which can be hot swapped with the
internal 12x CD drive.  IMHO, you can't beat this machine for the price.
One of our HS Principals just purchased an IBM ThinkPad.  Says it's great
and $800 cheaper than my Mac.  But, if he added the $600 for the
active-matrix screen, and $200 for the builtin 33.6 ethernet/modem card,
he'd still have a slower machine, which would not run Mac software.

Good Luck.

-Kevin

Kevin J. Galbraith, Sr.               | "Books will soon be obsolete in the
Elementary Library Media Coordinator  *  schools...Our school system will
Pinckney Community Schools, MI, USA   |  be completely changed in the next
http://www.pcs.k12.mi.us              *  ten years" - Thomas Edison, 1913,
Director, MACUL Board of Directors    |  speaking about motion pictures.
http://www.macul.org                =A0JMJ=A0

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/