Dear LM-NET friends,

Today the four librarians in my district got together for our bi monthly
meeting.  We were discussing Accelerated Reader, and the librarian at at
the 4-6 grade building shared a problem with us that I hope you can help
with.

The sixth grade teacher at her building bought Accelerated Reader as a
supplemental reading program.  She bought the grades 7-12 book set since
some of her kids are reading above grade level.   Of course, some of the
books are too sophisticated for sixth graders.  That's the problem.

A parent called the librarian to complain about a book called _A Time For
Dead_.  She has a problem with a phrase in the book, "He fondled her tit."
The parent has not read the entire book.

The librarian explained that she had nothing to do with the purchase of
these books, but she sent the parent the paperwork our district requires
for a book censoring problem.

As we talked she said last year she had a problem with another parent who
didn't like _The Drowning of Steven Jones_ by Betty Green.  That situation
has still not been settled.

Meanwhile, she is wondering if any of you have been challenged on either of
these books?

She is going through the rest of the Accelerated Reader titles to pull ones
she isn't sure about until she can read them.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Karen

Karen DeFrank, Librarian and Story Lady
Dorothy L. Bullock Elementary School
Glassboro, NJ  08028
dlb@snip.net or defrank@voicenet.com

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/