At first I responded to the original post privately, but, oh well, I might
as well join in the public discussion.

I began shelving books as a 13 year old in junior high. In high school and
college I worked for the local public library and although shelving was not
my primary duty, I did my share.  When I was a volunteer in my childrens'
school library I shelved for 10 years, the last two of which I was also the
part-time librarian here.  For a few years during that time I substituted
in area school libraries.  I remember going to one where books were piled
everywhere and I spent most of the day shelving, determined not to leave
until everything was put away.  I remember wondering how in the world the
librarian could stand it and and why wasn't the shelving done.  I don't
remember who she was, but I would like to apologize for my judgemental
attitude!  Today the shelving cart stands empty, but it's early yet.  If my
volunteers don't show...!

  I rarely shelve, sometimes during inventory.  Sometimes they really pile
up if no volunteers show up, but I just let them.  I obviously don't think
shelving is "beneath me."  If it got to the point where I couldn't walk
around, I'd shelve. In fact, I know I can do it faster, more efficiently,
and more accurately than my volunteers.  It was pointed out to us in
library school that a professional's pay rate is too high for us to be
shelving.     I think also it has to do with image.  If all we are seen
doing is shelving and checking books out, it's easy for others to think
that "anybody can do that."  I know what's in my collection because, as
others have said, I'm in the stacks daily with teachers and kids.  And
while I may not shelve, I do shelfread when I have time.  My theory is that
if the principal walks in and wonders why the books are  piled everywhere,
I can say "you pay me too much for that and I have enough professional
tasks to do that I don't have the time. We need to hire someone to do the
clerical work."

On the other hand, we all seem to have enough time to discuss the issue :-)
Hmmmm..

JMHO.

Joanne Proctor, Librarian
Most Pure Heart of Mary School
Topeka, KS
jmproctor@mphm.com

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/