rom: West Road School <jkessler@INT1.MHRCC.ORG>
Subject: Peggy Sharpe Training
We, too, had some problems (and still do on occassion) but have eliminated
most by using a form.  I send it out with a cover letter at the beginning of
the school year with instructions for completion.  It may be turned in as
classes are going to be brought in to the library later in the year.  It has
the usual info:  subject/grade/level; date assignment given and date due
(important - I know what to expect 2 days before a big paper is due!);
number of classes getting the assigment; dates the teacher wants to bring
classes in; materials to be placed on reserve (several choices, from books
on a cart, time restrictions on checkouts, etc.)  I also have space for them
to list any book titles/authors they think would be good for this
assignment.  Sometimes this helps with new purchases; sometimes it lets me
know how little they know about what we have here in the library!

I ask that the forms be filled out even if teachers are not going to bring
classes in; if students require library materials for that assignment, I
need to know how to help them.  In addition, I ask that they attach the
actual assignment handout they give to students.  Then when students can't
remember how many sources they need, or how recent the articles must be, I
can help.  I also write any titles that I used which helped with this
assignment to make it easier to pull them next time.

Teachers sign up to bring in classes through ME.  I ask that they give me 2
- 3 days notice which they usually respect.  Some teachers ask to bring them
down that day; if I have time I say "ok" with the caveat that they are here
to use the print/computer resources, not the human ones as my day is already
planned out.  It goes back to the "shelving" issue - people don't have a
clue what we do.  When there aren't classes in here, that must be when we
curl up with a good book!?

The first year was a bit tricky - my goal was to be NICE, firm, a little
flexible when necessary, and give everyone a form to fill in whenever they
requested to bring in a class, or multiple students came in with the same
assignment.  Subsequent years have gotten much better.  Good luck!!

J'aime L. Foust, Librarian
Queensbury High School
Queensbury, NY  12804
jfoust@mum.neric.org

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/
Dear Netters,
Does anyone know if Peggy Sharpe has a website or other electronic
access? How about regular mailing address?  Peggy, through Bureau of
Educational Research, presents terrific training programs for librarians
that are truly inspiring.  Have any of you ever had her do a
presentation that was NOT organized by BER?
Many thanks, and happy Thanksgiving,
Julie Kessler           jkessler@mhrcc.org
Librarian
West Road School        "Ready, fire, aim!"
Pleasant Valley, NY 12569