Last week I asked this list for suggestions for books that our 1st/2nd
graders could read with their parents as part of a book club that our
teachers wanted to start.  I also asked for suggestions for good books
to read-aloud to 4th graders.  I got a lot of wonderful suggestions for
both, and several people asked that I do a Hit - so here it is. =20
Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to send me suggestions - I
hope this is useful to others also.

1st/2nd Grade Suggested Reading List for Possible Book Club

The Enormous Crocodile - Roald Dahl
The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me -  Roald Dahl
The Twits - Roald Dahl
The BFG - Roald Dahl
The Library - Sarah Stewarat
The Library Dragon - Carmen Deedy
Rosie, A Visiting Dog - Stephanie Calmenson
Dragon in a Clock Box - Craig
Rum Pum Pum - (a folktale from India)
Grumpet under the Rug - Jackson
Mr. Wiloughby=92s Christmas Tree - Robert Barry
Rude Giants - Audrey Wood
The Tickleoctopus - Audrey Wood
Frog & Toad books - Lobel
Berenstain Bears books - Berenstain
=93A Folktales unit=94 -=20
Adventures of Bailey School Kids series - Debbie Dadey and Marcia
Thornton Jones
        Mummies Don=92t Coach Softball; Monsters Don=92t Scuba Dive, Lephrechaun=
s =09
Don=92t Play Basketball, Santa Claus Doesn=92t Mop Floors, Zombies Don=92=
Play            Soccer, Vampires Don=92t Wear Polka Dots
Julian stories by Ann Cameron
Henry & Mudge books - Cynthia Rylant
Amazing Grace - Hoffman
Teammates - Golenbock
Kate Shelley and the Midnight Express - Wetterer
Flight - Burleigh
Mirette on the High Wire - McCully
Ramona the Pest - Cleary
Russell Sprouts - Hurwitz

Also check out these reference books:
Story Stretchers for the Primary Grades - Shirley Raines & Robert Canady
Books Kids Will Sit Still For - Judy Freeman
More Books Kids Will Sit Still For - Judy Freeman

4th Grade Suggested Read-Alouds

Prince of the Pond - Donna Jo Napoli
Nasty Stinky Sneakers - Eve Bunting
Help, God! It=92s Me, Earl=20
Owls in the Family - Farley Mowat
Shiloh - Phyllis Reynolds Naylor   -- (and the sequels)
Journey - Patricia McLaughlin
Laura Ingalls Wilder books
Poppy - Avi
Tarantula Shoes - Tom Birdseye
Danger at the Fair - Peg Kehret
Anastasia series - Lois Lowry
The Fear Place - Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
The Best School Year Ever - Barbara Robinson
Summer of the Monkeys - Rawls
War With Grandpa - Robert Kimmel Smith
Black and Blue Magic - Snyder
Matilda - Dahl
Bristle Face - Ball
Dog Called Kitty - Wallace
Wayside School series - Louis Sachar
Best Christmas Pageant Ever - Barbara Robinson
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing - Judy Blume
Stone Fox - John Reynolds Gardiner
All About Sam - Lois Lowry
How to Be A Perfect Persons in Just Three Days - Stephen Manes
Maniac Magee - Jerry Spinelli
Mick Harte Was Here - Barbara Park
Where the Red Fern Grows - Rawls
Skinnybones - Barbara Park
Babe the Gallant Pig - Dick King-Smith
Sounder - William Howard Armstrong
Iggie=92s House - Judy Blume
Gentle Ben -Walt Morey
Number the Stars - Lois Lowry
Bedknobs & Broomsticks - ??
Lassie Come Home - Eric Knight
Hatchet - Gary Paulsen
Fourth Grade Celebrity - Robinson
Poison Ivy and the Earwigs - Pryor
The Cay - Taylor
Trouble with Tuck - Taylor
Fantastic Mr. Fox - Roald Dahl
Shoebag - Mary James
Rough Face Girl - Rafe Martin
True Adventure of Daniel Hall - Diane Stanley
Lafcadio: The Lion Who Shot Back - Silverstein
The Magic Finger - Dahl
The Perfectly Orderly House - ??
The Witches - Dahl

Check out this web site:=20
http://www.wcsu.k12.vt.us/~wardsboro/lists.htm#Miscellaneous

Lou Brewer, LMS
Nickerson Elem. School
Nickerson, KS  67561
nickes@midusa.net

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/