At another school I worked at on the mainland,  I had a full time library
clerk and was very careful not to  shelve books if I could possibly help
it.  Why?   In addition to all the professional reasons, it was because my
clerk felt that I should be helping her with the shelving and I refused to
do it, letting her know that that was her responsibility and that she had
adequate time to get it done.  Librarians who have clerical help and who
shelve books on a routine basis risk fostering the perception with both the
public and their staff that this is something they should be doing as part
of their job.

Although in my current job, I still have (on paper anyway) a full time
library technician, I shelve a great many more books than I used to,
although my library tech. doesn't expect it.  There are definitely benefits
to it.

(1)  I sometimes spot books that are misshelved  that a student insists he
has returned and indeed he has.
       My eagle eye can spot these mistakes quickly because I am the one
the students turn to when they
       insist they have returned something and I am very adept at
remembering the titles.

(2)  It is helpful to shelve books with volunteers to keep an eye on how
accurate they are  without                   obviously checking their work.
It also helps to keep them motivated and working.  (One problem I have with
my adult volunteers is that they become so mesmerized with our books that
they pause to read for a very long time--such a compliment to the
collection!)

Having said that I will occasionally shelve, esp. if the books are
overflowing, I still believe that that is not my job, but will do it if I
have to.  I much prefer to organize students at recess or during a brief
period of class time to do the shelving as both a learning and a public
service activity.

Cheryl King, Librarian, Agana Heights Elementary, Box DE, Agana, Guam 96910
FAX:     (h.) 671-563-1091       Phone:(h.) 671-563-1073   (w.) 671-477-3550
E-Mail:  Cheryl.King@KUENTOS.GUAM.NET

President, Guam Library Association

GUAM-Where America's Day Begins!

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/