Some folks have asked me how to get started with classroom projects
building crystal radios to teach about energy, electricity, chemistry,
earth science, communications, the history of technology, and such.  You
may remember that the 'magic' of crystal radios is that they use no
battery, no AC outlet, no solar cell - NO VISIBLE MEANS OF POWER AT ALL.
That's right - totally powerless radio listening!  Free tunes for life!

Of course, what's really happening is that these simple receivers pluck
the electromagnetic waves transmitted by AM radio stations right out of
the air, and turn them into sound waves you can hear.  Really.  Kids
love them just for that reason alone.  They're also fun to make.

A trip to the local Radio Shack store will produce a crystal radio kit
that's incredibly easy to build (I mean EASY!) for about $8 or so. If you
want to see what else is available, just because you're a gadget-lover
like me, then visit these websites.  You can even order online with a
charge card, if you like.  Go ahead and take a peek.

The Xtal Set Society
http://www.midnightscience.com/

"Crystal Sets?  Yup, you've found an entire site about building Crystal
 Sets.  The Society has been growing over the past six years as word gets
 out to enthusiasts.  Still, some people are flabbergasted to find an
 entire society dedicated to Crystal Set radios (hereafter referred to as
 Xtal Sets).  One web surfer e-mailed, "I was so excited to find your site
 that I fell off my chair!"

 The Xtal Set Society publishes a newsletter and numerous books, all of
 which you can find more information about on this site.  You'll also find
 plans to build a Quaker Oat box xtal radio, vintage magazine articles
 from the 1920s and 1930s, and our specialty bookstore, MidnightScience
 Books. -- Editor, The Xtal Set Society Newsletter."

Antique Electronic Supply:
http://www.tubesandmore.com/

"Over 10,000 square feet of: vacuum tubes, books, radio kits,
 transformers, sockets, friendly folks, capacitors, resistors, literature,
 cabinet restoration materials, friendly folks, wire, grill cloth, gifts,
 tools, information... and did I mention the friendly folks?"

Anton Ninno, AskLN Coordinator           AskLN@ericir.syr.edu
4-290 Center for Science & Technology    anton@ericir.syr.edu
Information Institute of Syracuse        800.464.9107 toll-free
Syracuse Univ., Syracuse, NY 13244-4100  315.443.3640 New York State
  "Got a question about using technology in the classroom?  AskLN!"
AskLN stands for "Ask The AT&T Learning Network" and is made possible
  by the AT&T Learning Network as part of AT&T's 150 million dollar
    commitment to education.  Teachers - visit our website soon!
Send your educational technology questions to: AskLN@ericir.syr.edu
AT&T Learning Network website: <http://www.att.com/learningnetwork/>

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/