I asked about a program that allows one to copy web pages onto your hard
drive to for students to use off-line in a controlled search.  Got lots of
good advice:

The program I asked about is called "Web Whacker" and it is
available through a company called Forefront.  The price is around
$40 - $50.  Try this number: 1-800-867-1101.  There is also one
called WebBuddy from DataViz in CT.

The WebWhacker software from Forefront does this.  You can download a
demo from their web page.  I think it is http://wwww.forefront.com.
Was also given www.ffg.com.

I believe they do have a free trial (30 days) to download from the
ForeFront website.  I'm at home and don't have the address but maybe
http://www.forefront.com/.

Classroom Connect has a book which comes with a version of
Web Whacker that explains things rather well, albeit with a lot of 'techie
language' thrown in. The book is called "Educator's Guide to Web Whacker.
There's also Web Printer, which allows you to print your documents -- from
a browser or a Windows application -- in book form.

     I think you have to have a zip drive to put the info on, since
most hard drives don't hold very much info.

A techie person sent this advice:
You do not need any special software. With Netscape (and I assume with
others) go to File, choose Save As and save in a directory that permits
ASCII text - Word Perfect works for me or Notebook in Windows 95. From
there, providing you know a little about HTML, you can build a "Hot Link'
Internal site and add or delete at will.

I was warned by several people that this kind of program can offer
significant copyright liability if you don't ask IN ADVANCE about
copying web pages. It is good to assume that  everything is
copyrighted unless you know to the contrary.

--
Johanna Halbeisen
Woodland Elementary School(K-4)

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/