Thank you to all those who responded to my request for advice about our
second grade German girl who speaks very little English. If anyone has
additional comments or thoughts, we would love to hear them. I'll give the
teacher all replies received thus far on Friday so she can peruse them over
the weekend. They were very encouraging reponses and ones that I think will
put her mind to rest, at least a bit!
One person questioned why I was surprised about the lack of English. It's
because I've  heard of English  as the "universal language", and so many
peoples all over the world do know at least a smattering of it. Where I went
to high school we had students from Iran, South America, Central America,
Africa, Asia, and Europe and most all were fluent with English. But, thinking
about it,  their families were in  government or business - which I can see
would make a difference. And, as I type this ,I remember my days of working
at the international airport, and yes, there were a great many travelers who
didn't know much English! It's  interesting to see how facial expression, eye
contact, and body language convey so much information!!!  (All of which will
play an important part of getting aquainted with our new second grader and
she with us.)
Thank you again.
Helen McMaster (WITCHAVEN@AOL.COM)
Veazie School (K-8)
Veazie, ME

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/