Dear LM_NET friends in Georgia (and in other states too),
I knew the members of this listserv would be a valuable source of
information about the lottery.  There were many cautions that any lottery
should not replace funds earmarked for education elsewhere in the State
budget.  Many felt that schools had recieved a lot of equipment -
satellite dishes and computers, etc. but not enough personnel and training
to use them to the best advantage.  Some mentioned that funds to libraries
lessened after the first year and that most of the money goes to the pre-K
classrooms and the HOPE scholarships.  Others said that many school
libraries were able to get enough money to automate.

I appreciate all of you taking the time to answer my query.  I posted my
questions because I'm a teachers' union rep.(and also very curious)  and
we are supposed to discuss this at a meeting tomorrow.  Every year it
seems that there is a
proposal in the Legislature to have a lottery and I guess the teachers'
union wants to make sure that education will be funded the right way if it
does pass.  So far no form of gambling has been legalized in Hawaii.

Mahalo again, and aloha from Hawaii.
Julia Putes,Librarian, Kapunahala School, Kaneohe, Hi.
jputes@makani.k12.hi.us

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/