Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:59:44 -0800
From: Denise Wilkinson <winston2@flash.net>
To: LM-NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: TARGET:  Designing new K-12 library

LM-NET friends:

HELP!!!  (I know you will!)  I am the librarian at a small private
school, grades K-12.  We are in the process of building our own new
school.  I just found out late yesterday that the builders need the
layout for the new library within the next few days in order to put
floor outlets in place.  I had not even seen final architectural plans
for the new library until this morning.

Anyone out there design a K-12 library lately?  The challenge is to make
it appealing to all grade levels.  Our current library is small and is
perceived as a "baby library" by the older students. Any advice on how
to tackle this would be appreciated.

My immediate concern is preparing for technology.  What experience have
any of you had with electrical outlets in new libraries?  Right now the
floor plans are calling for floor outlets every 6-10 feet down the
middle of the library length-wise.  (Not sure exactly how far apart,
since I don't have dimensions yet!)  Wall outlets are also called for
about every 10 feet along the walls.  I was planning on shelving along
most of the walls, so I'm not sure how advisable this is.

What about data lines for computers?  Assuming computer stations will be
somewhere in the middle of the library (rather than along walls), should
data lines run along the floor or through the ceiling?  What about
telephone lines?

In new schools, are your libraries adjacent to computer labs, with
connecting doors?  Our plans currently call for the library to have
connecting doors to two computer labs.  The computer teacher and I have
mixed feelings about this.  Right now, the library operates separately
from the labs, and it's not really expected to change.  (I do not have
responsibility for the labs.)  Having these doors takes up precious
floor and wall space in the 3 rooms involved.  It also compromises
security in all 3 rooms, since they then are accessible from more than
one door.  The library and computer room are connected in our current
school, and we find that there is also a lot of sound transfer through
the doors.  What is everyone's experience with this?

I confess I have been dragging my feet on this and have not done my
homework, even though I knew these questions were coming.  I just didn't
think it was coming so soon!  I do have some manuals to refer to, and
hopefully I'll visit a few new schools in our area in the next few days
to see how they've done things.  But any personal experiences you could
share would be very helpful, especially any things that were done in
your new libraries that you especially like or dislike!  Also, please
let me know if there are any web sites I should check out.

I will post a hit if people are interested.  Many thanks in advance!

Signed,
"Panicked in Texas"
Denise Wilkinson, Librarian
Winston School San Antonio
winston2@flash.net

--------------68F659A3B3C--

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/