Hi! Everybody,

THANKS to all who responded to my question regarding MLS program by
Distance Education in e-mail.  Below is a list of responses from
those wonderful people.

From Julia Christian :-
I know that the University of Arizona Library School offers a MLS via
distance education.  Here is a link to that site:

http://timon.sir.arizona.edu/lf/admin/vrtintro.html

Also, you could try American Library Association site that lists
accredited Library Information Systems Master's Programs.  They are
organized by state.  That site is at:
        http://www.ala.org/alaorg/oa/uslis.html

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Jazzcat365@aol.com :-
I think Syracuse University has one

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Barbara Keesey :-
You might want to try the Universtiy of Arizona.  They have a distance
learning program for the MLS with Delaware Technical and Community
College.
They might have a similiar program at a college close to you.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Sally Rathbun :-
Texas Womans Uni.  Denton Tx

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Jenny Wylie :-
Contact:
     Kathleen de la Pena McCook
     University of South Florida
     Tampa, Florida
     813/974-3520
     Fax: 813/974-6840
     E-Mail: kmccook@chuma.cas.usf.edu

I just started a course, "Introduction to Library Administration."
Good luck.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Kathy Graves :-
Syracuse University offers a program I think.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Karla Collins :-
I know Syracuse offers a program, but you have to spend some time there.
University of Arizona also has a program that I am told is very good.  I
am interested in the same thing, and was about to put out a request!
Would you please post a HIT or email me directly with your answers?
TIA!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From christine O'Connor :-
Emporia State University offers their MLS as Distance Education.  I know
their courses are offered in Colorado and Oregon.  I think one other
place too.  If you want more information you can reach the School of
Library and Information Management at 1-800-552-4770.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From David Fulton :-
I am responding to your question on LM_NET about an MLS degree through
distance education.  Syracuse University in upstate New York offers a
degree which requires brief on-campus residencies three times a year.
For more information, please see this Web site:
http://istweb.syr.edu/design/academic/distance/about_mls.html

To receive additional information and an application of the MLS
degree program, e-mail the School of Information Studies at
crary@syr.edu
or call (315-443-2911).

Good luck!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Tabar, Marghe :-
You might contact The College of St. Catherine in
St. Paul, MN.  I think they offer a program, although
I'm not sure if the details.  phone: 612 690 7700

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Tracey Donaldson :-
Syracuse University in Syracuse, NY does.  Check out their web page at:

            http://istweb.syr.edu/design/academic/distance/index.html
Good luck!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Marilyn E. Barnes :-
You may not be able to get an MLS by distance education, but if you
need specific library courses, you may be able to take them by
correspondence (mail) courses.  To find the courses, you should
look at a publication in the Peterson's Guide series.  I think it
is called "Peterson's Guide to Correspondence Courses."  Many
universities have such programs, and I was able to take an additional
course beyond the MLS to satisfy state requirements here.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Amy Webb :-
The University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign has a distance education
program called LEEP which will provide you with a MLS.  If you need more
info. , let me know.  The U of I web site probably has some information
on this program.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Don Wilson :-
Nova University, Ft. Lauderdale Florida has been providing a quality
Master of Information Science degree for many, many, years.  They also
have a top notch Dr. of Info Sc.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Karen Martin :-
Yes, the University of Tennessee.  call for an info and application
packet @ 1-800-325-8657.  For question about curriculum, use these
numbers - fax (423) 974-4967, phone (423) 974-5917
The School of Information Sciences
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
804 Volunteer Boulevard
Knoxville, TN   37996-4330
E-mail: hoemann@utk.edu

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Jennifer M. Lyons :-
May I recommend the program at Syracuse University. It is wonderful.
Check it out at http://istweb.syr.edu

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Twana L. Weiler :-
Hi, I just finsished my MLS from Syracuse University through its
Independet Study Degree Program and absolutely loved it.  It took me two
years, but some people finsished in only 1 while others are taking
longer.

I also know taht Arizona has a distnace ed program as well as Emporia
STate in Kansas. But the one in Kansas is not like the other two.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Charlotte Bryant :-
Hi, I just graduated from The University of South Carolina  two weeks
ago with a MLIS degreee in library science.  I did it all except the
internship via television through Distance Education.  I did have to
drive to the university two days a semester on a Saturday, but it
wasn't bad because I was only 100 miles away. Try University of South
Carolina.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From "Patty & Jeff" :-
Hi!
Try gslis@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
or
lrc@uiuc.edu

One of these sites had something about MLS Distance Program.
They're connected with the Univ. of Illinois, USA.

I'd be interested in other sites you find!
Best wishes!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Lorrie Miller :-
I am currently enrolled at the University of Arizona (Tucson) MLS
program as a virtual student.  You can take all but the last 12 credit
hours online.
 They expect you to take the last 12 hours on campus.  Contact Kathy
Wilka for more info at wilka@U.Arizona.Edu

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%----THANKS----%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

From Linda Kern Neely :-
University of Arizona offers an MLS program that is for the most part
accessed via satellite TV.  I believe that you do have to attend one
term (10 or 12 weeks) on the campus in Tucson.>

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST