Dear LM_NET members,

I know that there is someone out there who has planned cooperatively with t=
heir science department to produce a well-planned science fair research exp=
erience in the library.    We run into so many problems.  I was hoping you =
all might have some suggestions. =20

First, some background...this is how it is organized now. I have a large nu=
mber of science fair project books that each teacher checks out and takes t=
o her room.  Students(7th and 8th) choose a topic and then fill out a resea=
rch =22plan of action=22 form listing key words and places to search in the=
 library. This is checked by me and is their =22ticket=22 to use the comput=
er.  Sounds good...but then, we have students who don't find a topic and st=
udents who do have a topic who do not want to research. Plus, we will have =
a student who picks a topic that is WAY over his head...and impossible to r=
esearch. They ruin the experience for all students.  I liked the idea the l=
ady had the other day about the teacher taking  those who don't want to res=
earch back to the room and leaving those who are =22on task=22 in the libra=
ry. =20

Also, how do you deal with the kids using the books and then the next class=
 comes in and can't find the book because the student left on table, miss s=
helved it, hid it,  etc.  I have tried the idea of putting the books back o=
n a cart but they get out of order that way too, and I spend all my time lo=
oking for books and not helping people find information.  Frustrating=21

Our teachers are great and are willing to try anything; they are as frustra=
ted as I.  I want everyone to have a good experience using the library...no=
t something they dread. =20

Thanks in Advance,

Pat :-)=20

Cartersville City Schools, Cartersville, GA 30120

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST