Following are the responses I received on my Spelling Bee information
request - Thanks to everyone who replied!

Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee:

P. O. Box 371541
Pittsburgh, PA 15251-7541

e-mail:  bee@scripps.com

voice:  1-800-NSB-WORD

fax:   1-800-990-6266

homepage:  www.spellingbee.com

Va. Martin, Ketron Middle School

I used to be Spelling Bee Coordinator in  my school.  We would have a school
Bee once a year and the winner would go into a local zone bee with
neighboring schools.

The Daily News has a list of words but we found them very hard.  What we did
was have grade level teachers extract words from their curricula.  SS,
Reading, Science, Math, language, Health texts all have glossarys with grade
level words.

Lorraine Keryc
St. Mary School
East Islip, NY

I've worked with spelling bees for many years.  For fourth and fifth grades
we use words from the National Spelling Bee booklet, Paideia.  You can find
ordering info and lots of other spelling bee info at the <A HREF="http://www.s
pellingbee.com/">National Spelling Bee</A> website.
http://www.spellingbee.com/    The national bee is for grades 4-8 and our
winners in grades 4 and 5 go on to the district bee.

For grades 1, 2, & 3, we use words from a spelling book (not our current
textbook) for the grade above the grade they're in.  In both cases, students
get a copy of the list about a month before so that they can study.

Dianne Prager, LMS
Pleasant Grove Elementary School
Stockbridge, GA
dkprager@aol.com

Our local newspaper sponsors our spelling bee every year. You might check
with yours! :)
Barb
Barbara Johnson, Librarian
 Albright M.S. in Houston, Texas 77083

We have spelling bees at our school, in our county and in our state.  We
have a list of state supplied words that could possibly be used.  The
teachers either have a spelling bee in their class or select their entries
for the school bee.  The winner of this goes on to the county contest etc.

Margaret Ashcraft      Love T. Nolan Elementary School College Park, GA 30396
lnolan@mindspring.com

Monica C. McQueen, Librarian
monica@server.fas.pps.k12.or.us
French American International School
Portland, Oregon

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST