Dear Netters:

Thanks to all those who responded to my question. In order to keep this
hit short I have extracted the relevant information from each response.
I think that the future holds another dot matrix printer for me, but if I
had the money I would now buy a laser printer.

Sylvia

 A laser printer is much cheaper to run if you just want B&W print. You
can buy one
for just a little more.  The cartridge runs $70 but lasts a long time.

We went through several cartridges 4-5 at $25 each compared to the Laser
Jet which was actually under $70 - Check office depot catalog to see prices.

I have an HP LaserJet 4+ and a new HP LaserJet 5.  These are different
from an inkjet. Inkjets use lots of toner.  My LaserJet 4+ has been up
and operational for a year and we have not changed the toner yet!  I
did buy a cartridge last year because I didn't know how long it would
last.  The cartridge costs $105 with the school discount.  But if I
only use one cartridge a year, no problem.  (I have an old Epson
ActionLaser+ at home--I have NEVER changed the toner cartridge in 5
years and I have printed a bunch, including a book I wrote twice!)  I
vote for a LaserJet.  It's quiet, more economical in toner usage, will
do graphics, etc.  As you move to more technology, it will go with
you.

Inkjet over the dot matrix almost EVERY time.  Resolution is much improved,
particularly on graphics, and of course you are buying ribbons for the dot
matrix anyway.  Cost of cartridges is of course dependent on usage

Dot matrix requires cartridge, and I have a cheap
Panasonic (something like KX2130 or some similar number) which cost
about $200.  I also have an HP 540C inkjet, and the cartridges are
expensive.  However, you can buy refill kits which contain ink and
big syringes and a couple other gizmos so you can refill for about
1/3 the cost.  However, you get ink all over the sink (I wear
rubber gloves and do this in the restroom because the custodian
lets the library sink, and the library, go to utter filth).  You can
get refill kits from lots of places like Misco and Tiger.

Due to the high costs for ink cartridges, you might want to look into a
base level Laser Printer.  I'm not sure how cheap you can go with MAC
support, but we use the little 5L (recently renumbered) from Hewlett
Packard on many PC's.  We can get them for around 350.00 & the cartridges
last quite a bit longer than ink.

dot matrix = quality is so poor and difficult to read it no longer
represents  a choise ( unless you pick up a freebee )  Todays Inkjets
give excellent quality and can print color also, but expensive to operate
(I would say  printing a color page at about
80cents/each( special paper and ink))  is not what
 your greatest need is. (We have Epson 600 inkjet and it prints quite
remarkable quality.)
 Clearly my recomedation would be an entry level true lazer printer or for a
tight budget a LED (lazer quality for less    money) like an Okidata
Okiepage.  A little more up front money but after about a year to recover
initial investment cost,
 per page is much lower and they print faster .  In Canada it sells for
about 400 dollars. I suspect maybe around 300 US.
 As the entry level market is getting quite competative let price and dots
per inch resolution and test print your tipical    page be your guide.

I prefet inkjet as the quality of the printing is much better.  At my school,
the teachers all use the computers in the library to print flyers to go home,
letters to parents, spelling word lists, etc.  My school is small, so I would
say that about 16 people use the computers/printer regularly, and all the
computers are hooked up to one printer.  Last year I bought 2 black print
cartridges and 3 color cartridges at an average price of about $30.00 each -
so it wasn't too bad.

 I have been purchasing the refill kits for the cartridges.  A new cartridge
for my Stylewriter inkjek costs about $23 and lasts for 500 sheets of paper.
I can refill that cartridge for $6.  It is a great help.
   Right now we are exploring refilling the huge $100 laser cartridges for
$46.50 from The Library Company.  I've mailed them 3 empty cartridges and
am waiting for them to come back.
   Any of the mail order firms have the kits: PC/MAC Zone, PC/MAC Connection,
PC/MAC Warehouse, etc.  And probably Staples could order it for you.

my ink jet printer(s)(depends on how many is working at any moment) eats up
cartridges tremendously.  I plan to go to a laser printer ASAP.  I think I
read somewhere that ink jet is about is about 10 times more costly than
laser to print.

As a general rule, an inkjet printer should not be used for heavy duty
printing due the the operating expense.  A dot-matrix is by far the most
economical but of course the print quality is lacking.  A laser printer is a
good compromise.  It will cost more than an inkjet but will be much more
economical to operate--even though the cartridges cost more, they last much
longer.

Sylvia Jacquard
Teacher-Librarian
Central Kings R.H.S.
Cambridge Station, N.S.
B0P 1G0
sjacquar@fox.nstn.ca

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST