Many people indicated they'd be interested in what I found concerning the
word "paparazzi".  I'm including my original post, as it contained
information that I had found.  Following the original are the responses I
received.  Thanks to everybody for helping!

        ####   original post   ####

Another teacher and I have been discussing the word "paparazzi".  The only
unabridged dictionary I have is the 2nd edition of Random House.

It states that the word first appeared in "LaDolce Vita" by Fellini (1959).
There was such a photographer in the movie, and he gave him the surname
Paparazzo or Paparazzi (-o is the singular term, -i is the plural.  Not sure
which spelling the name had in the movie).  Fellini got the name from a book
he was reading at the time of the movie's production, _By the Ionian Sea_ by
George Gissing.  (It was the name of the hotelkeeper in the book.)

The Random House dictionary has dates in brackets which indicate the time
around which the word first appeared in print.  The dates given are 1965-70,
which would cooincide with the Jackie Kennedy Onassis problem with the
photographer who harrassed her.  That's when I first remember hearing the word.

Here's the question.  Do any of you who have Webster's 2nd or any other
unabridged dictionaries mind looking it up?  We're curious about whether
there is any word etymology on this word, since it was coined from a proper
name.  Does the papa- come from "father"?  Could it be from papyrus?  Paper?
What does the -razzi suffix mean?  Has anyone read the book or seen the
movie?  Why did he take the name from the hotelkeeper and give it to the
photographer?  Was he a voyeur?  Nosy?

Thanks for your help.  I'll let you know what we find out, if you're
interested.  This is a question of curiosity more than anything.  Thanks for
your time, too!

Jody_Gerlock@pds.k12.nj.us
My Webster's II indicates: dial. Ital. paparazzo,  a kind of buzzing insect.

Bonnie Fulmer <GBF1@MARISTB.MARIST.EDU>
     According to the Facts on File Encyclopedia of Word and
Phrase Origins,
"...They are so named from the Italian paparazzi, 'buzzing
insects,' which they resemble as they swarm about a
celebrity victim."  (p. 400)

"Brig C. McCoy" <brigc@world.std.com>
According to the Internet Movie Database <www.imdb.com>, Walter Santesso
played the character of 'Paparazzo' in the movie La Dolce vita (1960).
Other than that, I can't find a darn thing you didn't already have. :(

dschneider@renton.wednet.edu (Donna Schneider)
My Websters (3rd) unabridged indicates that the expression comes from the
dialectical Italian- "buzzing insect."

"William R. Tarbi" <wtarbi@deltanet.com>
 Suby...I got a change to look it up in the OED, and the closest I could
find was papist.  Not even close.  So I will now e-mail some of my friends
in Italy and get their opinion. I will let you know if I learn anything new
about the word.

Jamie Boston <jamieb@dcn.davis.ca.us>
In listening to a news report (NBC) I heard them discuss the origin of the
word.  It is a derivation of the Italian word for pesty, noisy insects

Mary Rose Morris "morris" <morris@nic.com>
On the news this evening they said that paparazzi means "buzzing
insects"...

Shellie   Rosita245@aol.com
I found the word paparazzo.  It says a photographer esp a free lance one, who
doggedly searches for sensational stories...etc.  It originates from the word
paparazzo which means a kind of buzzing insect.

Terri Duncko, KidsConnect Volunteer    SRAN_TLD@access.ohio.gov
I heard recently that the origin of the word is Italian and means "buzzing
pest".  I think someone on MSNBC mentioned it.

doree hager <dhager@lausd.k12.ca.us>
According to one T.V. program, the word paparazzi means buzzing insect.  I
can't verify the accuracy of this but it certainly seems like a good
definition for these annoying photographers!

"Terry Markulin, Librarian Canfield Middle School"
I read somewhere just yesterday either in the newspaper or Newsweek that
the word was Italian for "buzzing insects."  Seems appropriate. I don't
know anything about the movie. Hope this helps or adds to your findings.

"William R. Tarbi" <wtarbi@deltanet.com>
 Suby...I got a change to look it up in the OED, and the closest I could
find was papist.  Not even close.  So I will now e-mail some of my friends
in Italy and get their opinion. I will let you know if I learn anything new
about the word.

Suby Wallace         swallace@nic.crsc.k12.ar.us
Nettleton Intermediate Center  fax: 501-930-3930
   (5-6 grades)               phone: 501-932-5650
3801 Vera                (area code changing to 870 in
Jonesboro, AR 72401                     April)

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST