--PART.BOUNDARY.0.20565.emout05.mail.aol.com.875641432

Hi everyone
 Thanks for your help on how to deal with paperbacks that aren't catalogued,
before you are automated.
Here is the hit.
Susan Roscoe
LMS
Duffield School
Ronkonkoma, New York
Susanr50@aol.com

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.20565.emout05.mail.aol.com.875641432

I never cataloged my paperbacks before I automated.  When we did the only=

things included besides the bar code number are the author, title and
since mine are arranged by genera I include that.  It is easy for me to
send students to either science fiction or romance paperbacks because of
the labels we use.  They also can tell where they are located if they are=

using the catalog and find a specific author or title.
=0D

I'm not really sure if I understand exactly what you're asking, but we
barcode our paperbacks exactly like we do our hardback books and check
them out the same way.  We put a" pb" for "paperback" on each one---for
example "pb fic Ste" on a book by Steele or "pb 92 Cam" on a biography or=

"pb 640 Lyn" on a non-fic book.  We the shelve them together in the
paperback book section and students can easily find them there.  Good
luck.
=0D
In my elementary school, if I have a hardback copy of a book (which I
should have a MARC record for in my automation sytem), I just link the
paperback to that MARC record for the hardback, being very careful to
indicate on the call number, price, etc. that it is a paperback.  If I
don't have a hardback copy, I just check it out using the temporary barco=
de
function in my automation system(Columbia.)  i.e. I just put a barcode on=

the back of the paperback with no MARC record; when a child wants to chec=
it out, I scan it out to them--a screen comes up informing me that I have=

no MARC record for it and it lets me type in the call number, title, pric=
e,
copy # and check it out to the child.  If the book is overdue, that info
shows up on the overdue notices and when it is turned in, the temporary
barcode information is retained so that the next child can check it out
without the book info having to be inputted again.  If I felt a paperback=

were really important, I would catalog it myself using the automation
system's cataloging program.
=0D

Type them in manually with basic info.  You might have some titles in =

hardback, you could copy the data.  Are paperbacks worth much time to =

you?  That would determine the amount of data I would type in.
-- =

> =3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D=
-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D
I enter them as PB Seuss, for example. I also enter the LC or ISBN, =

title, etc. (Follett Circulation Plus.) They are not in the card =

catalog and never have been, and never will be because they fall =

apart too fast! I now have more paperbacks due to automation and =

shopping at used bookstores for Accelerated Reader titles. It is =

nice to be able to search for them in the computer, too bad the rack =

is so hard to search thru! I let the kids do that.
=0D
I don't catalog paperbacks. We have uncatalogued cards that are =

barcoded and allow us to write in the name of the book and cost =

as we check out the book. It works for us.
=0D
Susan, You pose an interesting problem.  When we automated, we made the
decision not to buy anymore paperbacks because of the cost of barcodes,
etc. vs the lifetime of a paperback.  We are purchasing "prebinds" instea=
like permabound or econoclad that last longer than a paperback but cost
less than a hard bound.
=0D
If we don't have a MARC record for an item, we just enter our own as best=

we can using the software we have (in our case Follett).
=0D

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.20565.emout05.mail.aol.com.875641432--

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/