Hi group,
I was writing out an activity that I did for a fellow LM_Netter and I decided to
send it to the whole group for your use. (or hit the delete key)

Here is a lesson on Picture Book analysis for a Junior or Intermediate grade.
(Could be part of a children's lit review for highschool students as well.) I
used it for a class that was about to make picture books for their reading
buddies.

Lesson 1
I collected (mostly new books) books that had interesting endpapers. I had
enough for the whole class. We sat in a circle and I wanted them to first look
at the front cover to tell me what the book was about from the picture and
title. They then were asked to identify the author,  illustrator, call number.
(some were from dewey shelves)
We then looked at the inside of the book, focusing on the endpapers front and
back. Were they different, the same and what was the connection to the book. We
went around the circle and each had a quick turn sharing. Some books simply had
coloured endpapers that indicated the tone or topic of the book. e.g. blue for
arctic, winter gold for fall. Others had pictures, maps repetative graphics.

We then looked at the verso. We talked about the copyright date and the fine
print that usually only librarians take notice of!

Lesson 2 (Long period)
I again collected a bunch of books in these categories: (I listed them on a
hand-out with a chart below. the chart included the following headings: Title,
Author, Picture Book Category, Explanation (Brief description)
The categories are:
1.    Concept books: e.g.Alphabet, counting, shapes, Days of the Week,
Opposites, etc.
2.    Repetitive Sequence (I went walking, Brown, bear, brown bear)
3.    Cumulative Sequence (e.g. The House that Jack built)
4.    Chronological Sequence (e.g. Morning, Noon, Night)
5.    Stories in Rhyme (Poetry, Song, Rhythm)
6.    Traditional Literature: Foltales, Fairy Tales, Nursery Rhymes
7.    Realistic Picture Books
8.    Animal Fantasy (Real or Toy animals as characters)
9.    Linear Story
10.    Circular Story

I handed out the sheet and did a book talk about each type of book. I passed
around the books. (Students in circle again)

I gave the teacher a selection of longer stories to read over a few days. e.g.
The Napping House, Babes in the woods and a collection of realistic fiction
(some with sensitive issues)e.g. Grey Fox, I'll always love you, Meggie's Magic.

Lesson 3
Students brought back their sheets and they worked on filling them out. Books
were spread out on tables for them to peruse.
We talked about how a book could be in more than one category. Many made this
discovery. The napping house is a good example of this.

--
Pat Elliott
Teacher/Librarian