Good morning netters!

Do you have a policy regarding "ABANDONED" books? What I'm referring to are
library books left out on the playground, or in the case of a junior higher,
left behind in a classroom as they change classes.

Last week we had two "abandoned" books (different students) which were found
and returned by a teacher and a student. The teacher I thanked, the student
I rewarded with 5 "Fairgrove Bucks" which our school uses as a reward system.

Fortunately these books were not damaged. Every child on our campus has a
backpack, and our library rule is: My library book is either in my hand
(being read, obviously!), in my backpack, or in my desk at school. I
discourage students from leaving books at home.

Several students have recommended that the careless students forfeit their
library privileges for the remainder of the year (but many of our students
have no other access to books). I've considered charging "Fairgrove Bucks"
but I don't really want to associate a positive reward into a negative one.
I don't have enough library "chores" to keep them busy either, and I don't
want to pull them out of class or keep them after school or during recess
(although their teachers might consider doing this if I asked).

I thought I'd ask this wise and wonderful group who have so ably assisted me
in the past, before I approach my principal. We are a new school (with all
brand new books!) and the library just opened at the end of January, so we
are still establishing policy. I had very little problem with this at my
previous site.

Thanks for all your input - I'll post a "Hit"  early next week.

Joanne Ladewig
Information Center Director
Fairgrove Academy
(a K-8 public school focusing on the Visual and Performing Arts, and Technology)
La Puente, CA
jladewig@ns700-1.enet.hlpusd.k12.ca.us     (all lower case)
home email: shatz@lightside.com