Here are more suggestions for the "abandoned book" problem (continued from a
preceding post):

11.  It happens occasionally, usually they've left it at after-school care
in our building.  If the book comes back and it's in good condition, I don't
worry about it.  My attitude is that they are responsible for the book when
they check it out.  If they leave it at daycare or grandma's or dad's house,
it's still their responsibility.  If they get it back, fine, if not or it's
been damaged, they pay for it.  I can't worry about what they do with them
when they walk out the door unless it's not returned at all or is damaged.
I may give them a "lecture" about responsibility but that's about it.

12. The only policy I have for abandoned library books is if paid for they
get no refund, because they didn't take the responsiblity to find and return it.

13.   I think you've done a lot that is positive already. I'd call in the
student
who abandoned the book, and have a heart-to-heart talk. Point out how lucky
he/she was that the book was found by someone responsible enough blah blah
blah. Use the experience as a talking point (without mentioning names) to your
classes, and the point will be made and taken by most students.
   I too have worked in a brand new library with brand new books. You really
feel protective of them, much like a brand new car without a single "ding" on
it. But as you know, the books are there to be used and enjoyed by the
students, and while we want to ensure that they are taken VERY good care of,
some mishaps, losses, and dings will occur.

14.Someone on the list charges cookies for overdues. Maybe if it was clear
that the kid had to make you something to share with your helpers, you would
have good response.  It would be a time for parents to talk about
responsibilities with their children.  A phone call home might help.  I'm
not in the junior high so I can't speak to these ideas. If a book is
abandoned at the high school and brought in, the person at fault is charged
a 50 cent fine.  Haven't had any this year.

15.  I may be too lenient on this, but I usually just give the "loser" a
talking to about responsibility, etc.  Some of us are lucky we have firmly
attached heads- I believe this applies to children as well as adults, and
sad to say, we are all entitled to be forgetful now and again. I think the
"Finder's Fee" is a really good idea, it will encourage others to return any
more lost books they may find. If a student, or a staff member, has a
chronic problem with misplaced items, then it might be time to consider a
"sentence", say 2 weeks with no borrowing. I had a student return a book
they found in the middle of the street once, I was glad to get it back
before it got rwn over,and grateful that it got returned at all. Face it,
the bottom line is that we want the book returned so that someone else can
use it, we should be more
worried about it coming back in usable condition than we are about the means
of it's arrival.

16. My favorite exercise for this type of thing has always been the dreaded
essay, length depending on age. I think a student who has to write a
paragraph or two about why we're careful with library books has to think
about it for at least a few minutes. And one day I'm going to publish all
these essays about taking care of library books, being considerate of
otherlibrary users, and not commanding fellow students to "drop dead," etc.

17. When "abandoned" books are found, I encourage their immediate return
to the library, where they are checked back in and reshelved. About half the
time the student will come looking for them. I then make them go get the
books themselves, which sometimes results in a new search. When the student
doesn't come looking for them, I figure that they were done with the books
anyway, and probably would have waited for an overdue notice, so I have
saved myself that work. Of course, if the book is already overdue a fine
notice goes out to the student, and when they come in to pay I can remind
them that someone saved
them some money, since the book was returned by another person!
This completes the responses - I will post what my decision was in a
following post. Again, many thanks to all who responded.

Joanne Ladewig
Information Center Director
Fairgrove Academy
(a K-8 public school focusing on the Visual and Performing Arts, and Technology)
La Puente, CA
jladewig@ns700-1.enet.hlpusd.k12.ca.us     (all lower case)
home email: shatz@lightside.com