Netters:

Thanks to all of you who gave input to this target! This is what we decided
to do:

After a serious discussion with the student about "what happened? and why it
shouldn't have, and that it won't happen again," the student was instructed
to write a letter to his parents explaining what had happened. He had to
request their continued permission to check out books, with the
understanding that if he "abandoned" another book, his borrowing privileges
would then be suspended for the remainder of the year (two months, in this
case). His parents agree to allow him to continue to check out books (one
per week).

For the future, I plan to:

1.  Make a note of the person who found and returned the book.
2.  Reward them if a student.
3.  Set aside the book and contact the teacher.
4.  Have the teacher and student present when I question the student, so
that there     is no misunderstanding between the teacher and me about what
the student     said or what the consequences are to be.
5. Have the student write a letter to the parent explaining what happened,
and     informing the parent that if the student abandons another book,
their borrowing
    privilege will be suspended for ______________(whatever time is
appropriate).
    The student MUST obtain the parent's signature before s/he can resume
borrowing. (We may or may not require the parent's "permission," depending
on     child and the circumstances).
    The student will also write a letter to the person who found and
returned the     book, thanking them.

I strongly considered the idea about having them bake some goodies for
myself and the (volunteer) staff members (yum yum!), but I am still working
off the Christmas goodies I indulged in, and the chocolates my husband gave
me on Valentine's Day, so I reluctantly decided that "penalty" would have to
be put on standby . . !

Again, many thanks to all who contributed to the post.

Joanne Ladewig
Information Center Director
Fairgrove Academy
(a K-8 public school focusing on the Visual and Performing Arts, and Technology)
La Puente, CA
jladewig@ns700-1.enet.hlpusd.k12.ca.us     (all lower case)
home email: shatz@lightside.com