OXford University Press publishes a number of different dictionaries. Most
of them are published in London, but you should be able to find them here.
I think they also make a picture dictionary in Arabic too, for ESL
students.  As for the ones we bought, I remember one being a "junior"
dictionary and one being a step up.  They were both under $20 around 5-6
years ago.  When you order, make sure you ask if they are Arabic-English,
English-Arabic or just one way.  I recall that we had to buy two different
dictionaries because they only went "one way" (I don't know if this was the
case with the Oxford or some other Arabic dictionaries we bought).   There
are several bookstores in NYC which carry them, including Barnes and Nobles
(but not the superstores, just the main store which carries textbooks) The
place
I purchased ours from is Dahesh Heritage Fine Books (212) 265-0600. The
gentlemen who runs the store is very nice. I had ours shipped (I didn't
want to carry them), so I guess they'll ship to you, too. By the way, they
have lots of dictionaries there, not just Arabic.  And their prices are a
million times better than The Dictionary Store here in NYC (which I think
went out of business).
Since I have been on LM_NET (five months), I have noticed a number of
postings asking for suggestions on where to buy bilingual dictionaries.  I
have been sending notices directly to the sender, but thought I would post
to LM_NET this time, in case more people are now looking for this
information, or think they will need it in the future.

        There are a number of companies who publish bilingual dictionaries -- many
of these are published by companies which produce ESL texts.  The best
known probably are those from Oxford.  In addition to publishing "regular"
bilingual dictionaries, they also publish Monolingual English Picture
Dictionary which is suitable for children and teens, both in a regular and
"Enlarged Print Edition." This same picture dictionary is also published in
many bilingual editions -- I've seen Spanish, Chinese, Polish here, and I
know they publish others.  Some of them are published in England, so they
may be a little more difficult to procure.    Oxford U. Press has a
dictionary catalog, but I'm not sure all their dictionaries are inside.
Their toll-free number is 1-800-440-5445. If you are looking for an Arabic
bilingual dictionary that is not super overpriced and is sturdy, Oxford is
your company. They offer several versions.  Be careful, however, with the
Arabic and Chinese dictionaries -- sometimes they only are "bilingual one
way", Arabic to English OR English to Chinese, etc., so you'll have to buy
two volumes.
        There is another great picture dictionary which comes in hardcover only,
large format size -- this is the Renyi Picture Dictionaries and they are
distributed in the United States by Langenscheidt, the German publisher ,
that is, they were until two years ago.  Who knows now, with one publisher
buying another... They are located in NY state and have a toll-free number
but I don't have it at home.
        Larousse has been making some very nice, inexpensive bilingual
dictionaries -- around $5-6 each, perfect for students to buy and carry
around themselves.  I've seen them in French, Spanish and German, but
haven't looked for other languages, so I don't know in which other
languages they are published.  The print is small for elementary school
children, however.
        If you have any specific questions re: bilingual dictionaries, feel free
to e-mail me.  In case you're wondering, I am a librarian now, but was an
ESL teacher for 20 years in my former life....

Rena Deutsch, Librarian
High School for the Humanities
New York, NY
renadeutsch@worldnet.att.com