Here is the hit that many people requested on systems to deal with book and
supply orders.  I am posting most of what was sent to me verbatim because
each system is a bit different.  You all are so organized!  I will try to
make one of the easier systems work, but I can't picture being this
systematic.  I guess I'd better learn, though.  Thank you to everyone who
sent these suggestions!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have two binders, one for current P.O.s and one for completed P.O.s. In
addition in the front of the current P.O.s I have a listing of the P.O.s in
order by number giving the date, vendor, amount of order and to what
account code the order is charged.  This has been invaluable when trying to
track down past orders.

I keep records for five schools with various accounts and have to submit a
report to each librarian about once a month. To do that I have a spreadsheet
set up which includes all pertinent information regarding how much was
actually spent in each account. I post each P.O. or check if it was a small
order, to the spreadsheet when I place the order and then edit the final
amount when the item is paid for.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
How about making up a database order form template and marking it off ? You
could have a column for each step you need to follow and even color code if
you get multiple shipments.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have three major files:  (1) Ordered  (2)  Budget  (3) Completed + year
(i.e., Complete 97/98).  The Ordered and Budget files stay on my desk at
all times.  The Completed files are in the file cabinet.  When an order is
placed, I keep one copy in the Ordered file and the original goes to the
secretary, who prepares the PO on the district computer (next year I will
probably do this step myself.)

The Budget file contains a ledger sheet (that I created) for each of my
three accounts:  (1)  Books and other resource materials   (2)  Supplies &
Maintenance   (3)  Book Fair profits, Lost Books, etc.

When an order is sent to the secretary, I note it on the correct ledger.  There
are then columns for Vendor, Materials ordered, Amount Encumbered (total
amount of original order), Date Received, Amount Spent(amount of invoice)
and Account Balance.  The order copy stays in the Ordered file until the
order is received.  I get the box and the packing list.  I note on both the
packing list and the order copy what was received and when.  If the order
is complete, I note "Order Completed" and the date and move the copy to the
Orders Completed file.  The packing list is also noted and sent to the
secretary.  When an order is complete, she notifies purchasing and they
close the p.o.  pay the invoice when it is received.

I check this "open order" file regularly and frequently to track orders which
seem to be taking a long time.  I also can check it to see if I already ordered
something. I called in February and again in March on an order placed in
November, and left messages with the rep. both times.  Come to find out, the
P.O. was never received!  The P.O. had to be re-issued by Purchasing.

I also receive monthly printouts from Purchasing which I sort of reconcile
like a bank statement.  I don't attempt to reconcile to the penny, but I
check off both on the printout and my ledger sheets when an order is
encumbered by Purchasing (that tells me the order has been mailed)  and
when an order is paid.
I have two files.  One file is for open PO's.  Copies of the PO's are filed in
numerical order.  When an order comes in, I simply pull the correct PO and
check it off.  If it is incomplete I return it to the open file.  If it is
complete I write Complete on it and give it to the secretary and she notifies
the district office to pay and I put my complete copy in the closed file in
numerical order.  In my budget book I keep track of my 8 different budgets,
list the PO number, who it went to, and its amount.  So far I have had no
trouble with this process.  Maybe I do not have as large a budget to keep
track of as you so it is easier.
I have two main things I do that work together: my computer files and my
paper files.

Computer files: I have a spreadsheet set up to track my various budgets at
each school. I have boiled this document down to one page per school, but
they are all in the same spreadsheet. When I'm doing POs, I open this
spreadsheet at the same time so that I can immediately enter the details of
each PO. I have a space for the PO number, but since that gets added after
the PO is sent to the district office, I have to put that in later. At the
time I'm writing one, I just enter the vendor, the name I gave the computer
file of that PO, and the price on the PO. I put DNE if it's a Do Not Exceed
amount. So a typical entry will look like this:
        Permabound (SVperma2) DNE       $1000
Of course these things are in columns, so the columns with figures can be
totaled. A typical page has the school name, a column for each budget, and
the budget numbers that need to go on the PO to identify which money I'm
spending. My POs are also a spreadsheet, so I can play with the prices and
see how things are going to come out before I print it up permanently. Our
district uses a 5 part NCR form for POs, so I have to print out 5 copies
and staple them together. I just run the NCR paper through my printer, and
so far have had no problems. Once a PO is filled out, it goes to the
principal for signature and then on to the district office. When it's been
sent out, the District returns two of the copies to me. One that I keep,
and one that gets sent back to them when the order is complete. This is
where I turn to my paper files.

Paper files: I have a file box that I carry from school to school with me.
It's one of those that use hanging files and have a little tray for pens,
etc. that fits in the top. I make sure that I have a highlighter, pens, a
stapler and post-its in the tray. I have four hanging file folders in the
box: a Consideration file, a Title VI file, since those funds are totally
separate and need special treatment, a Completed file and an Active file.
The completed and active files have three regular file folders within them,
one for each school.

Here's the process. I prepare a PO on the computer and make sure the data
is entered in my budget spreadsheet. If it's a big book order, and I'm
using an electronic ordering software, such as TopCats or Permasearch, I
print three copies of the electronic order. I keep one, I give one to the
District and mark one to be sent on to the vendor. I send the PO (and the
vendor and district copies of the book order) on for District processing.
When they send the order, they send me back two copies of the PO, which I
staple to my copy of the book order and place in the Active file for that
school.

When an order arrives, I open it and get the PO that applies to it. I go
through the packing list with a highlighter and mark off whatever has
arrived. If the order is complete, I sign and date the copies of the PO,
send one of them back to the District, and put my copy, stapled to the
packing list, in the Complete file for that school. If there are any
backorders or problems, I Xerox the PO and the packing list, mark it for
partial payment, and send the Xerox copies on to the District, while I keep
the real thing in the active file until settled. I keep any records of
phone calls, names of customer service people I spoke to, etc., stapled to
the PO and packing list. That way I can track what's happened with each
one. When books arrive that were requested by a particular teacher, I just
process them, band them up and put them in the teachers mailbox with a
"Thought you might want to see these" note. The highlight of my year is
when I finally have transferred all the POs from the Active file to the
Complete file. If I see good stuff during the year, I throw the info in the
Consideration file, along with requests from teachers. Then I check the
file before I do a PO to see if it's possible to order anything that was
requested.

I use ClarisWorks. I made my PO look just like the printed ones the
district used to use, except that it contains formulas that total and add
tax and shipping, etc. After I did that, the whole district started using
computer POs. It makes much more sense. You can play with amounts to see
if you can get closer to a certain price by adding more of a particular item
or switching to a different product from the same company. This is very
helpful when I have to work with budgets like Title VI where we need to
spend every penny of it if possible. I make sure that I put the 800 numbers
for the vendor (both customer service and fax) on the PO when I prepare it.
This has saved me countless hours of hunting down phone numbers when
there's a problem, especially since some companies have an 800 number, but
don't print it on their packing lists.
I have found that it after I type the purchase order, I make a xerox
copy of the order and attach any information such as who ordered it.
I send the original to the SBO.  They send me back a "green-slip"
which I return when the items are received.   I file all outstanding
PO's in a file called outstanding PO's.  When the items arrive I
attach any paperwork to the copy and send the green slip back to the
SBO.  I then notify the teacher of the materials arrival.  Once all
that is done, I file the paperwork in the appropiate file: ie:
books, equipment, supplies, etc.
I also have a spreadsheet on my computer where I maintain budget
record, who I ordered it from, the source of funding, the po #, date,
and what type of material it was.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I start each year with a fresh spreadsheet in Excel.  The column headings I
use are Vendor, Description, PO Nbr, Order Date, Received Date, Amount Paid
(which I fill in first with the original order amount and change to the
precise figure when the invoice arrives) and Fund (books vs. supplies vs.
equipment/furniture).  With Excel, I can keep a running total of what I've
spent effortlessly.  It is not hard and makes me look extremely organized.
Also, I keep copies of EVERYTHING in manila folders labeled with the vendor
name.  Once an order is complete, I staple all parts together, until then they
are only paperclipped, so I can see at a glance what needs follow-up
attention even in my paper file.
I use two file folders, one marked orders pending and one marked orders
completed.  I keep a copy of the original request and the copy of the PO
from the district office in the pending file.  When the order comes in, I
use the packing slip, etc. to check off contents.  When everything is okay,
the PO is sent in to the district office.  I file company paperwork with my
original request When the PO is returned, indicating the bills have been
paid, I move it and the co. paperwork to the second, completed file.  This
still takes time moving paperwork from one file to another, but at least
everything is in 2 files.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
We use Filemaker Pro to keep all of information on a database. Actually
any database program would work. Then we file the P.O. and all related
paperwork into two folders by P.O. number - one for Open files (orders
which have only partially been filled or that we have not received an
invoice for) and Closed (orders that have been received and paid for). A
quick look at our database (remember you can add as many fields to a
database as you want - of course, the fewer the better because you will
keep it up) tells us the P.O. number, company and whether it is open or
closed. We then track the P.O. down in the correct folder and since the
P.O.s are filed by their number, they are easy to find.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have come up with a system that works for me for keeping track of my
orders...maybe it will work for you.  This may sound confusing when written
down but it really isn't and works well for me.  I bet if you just bought a
HUGE 3-ring binder and a couple of sets of dividers, you will quickly see
how to devise a system to meet your individual needs.

I have a BIG, FAT notebook with dividers for
GENERAL INFO (keeping track of barcodes used, purchasing dept memos, etc.)
CASH ACCOUNT (running tally of my "cash" account  (book fair funds, lost

        books, copy fees, which is administered by the
        school secretary PLUS the orders, receipts, copies of deposits, etc....
        everything that has to do with *this* account only)
PERIODICALS (our order for magazines is done by county plus I put any
individual
        orders (copies thereof) for magazines and/or newspapers here)
OUTSTANDING (copies of the original requisition with notes written on it to me
        regarding which teacher ordered it or other info; we assign an
        account # which goes on each order to indicate which account
        the funds are to come from; these copies of orders stay in the
        "outstanding" section with copies of the packing slips behind each
         one until the order is completely filled;  As items dribble in, I
        highlight them on the copy of the order and date each line so I
        can easily tell what is in and what is not yet in)
RECEIVED (when an order is completely filled, I move *all* copies of the
        paper-work to this section with a note that says "OK to pay
        4/2/98 svl" and give a copy of the order to whomever is responsible
        for paying the bill)
WAREHOUSE (copies of warehouse requisitions which include paper,
        markers,labels, etc ---- done same as above except all kept in one
         section with newest on top)
BULBS (we are lucky in that our county pays for our bulbs :) :)  I keep
        the bulb orders separate because 1)they are a different account and
        2)so I can easily go back and copy an order when I need more of that
        kind of bulb

When problems come up, I write myself a note and either staple it to the
original copy of the order or punch it and put it in the notebook behind
the corresponding order.  I've learned to document *everything*!!  At the
end of the year, I will transfer all "received", "warehouse", "periodical"
and "bulb" orders to one hanging file folder in the file cabinet.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  I have to fill out an itemized requisition when I order.  The account that
will pay for an order is marked on the requisition.  I just keep a copy and
make checkmarks by each item received, with the date noted.  I mark 0 or
b.o. for what's not received, and check it later if it arrives.  I have a
folder for orders pending (sent but not received or not complete), and a
separate folder for items received for each account (general instructional,
special grants, staff development, library activity, etc.).  I intend to
staple together my requisition, any copies I get of actual purchase orders
(typed by secretary at superintendent's office), packing slips, invoices,
etc.  If I have to phone to check on an order, I note the call and response
on the requisition copy.  My aim is to keep the orders filed by date.
   I also keep a list of all orders placed:  vendor's name, date of order,
brief rundown of what was ordered, cost, date complete.  I started using a
spreadsheet for this information last year.  I have a separate sheet for
each account.  It lets me keep a running total of what I've spent.  When I'm
getting near the end of my budget, I ask the secretary who handles orders
for a list of what I've spent.  I check her figures against mine.  She and I
stay in touch so she knows when an order can be paid.  If an order doesn't
arrive in a reasonable time, we decide which of us will call the vendor.
She handles cases where a vendor doesn't credit a payment.
   All orders are placed through the superintendent's office (except the
occasional activity account order which I might call in myself after
receiving a P.O. number), and all payments are made from there.
   My downfall is when I don't file.  Every so often I have to go through a
foot-high stack of papers needing immediate attention and sort things out.
I found forms from last year on my desktop recently when I was hunting for
a repair requisition--a camcorder had been in the shop so long I thought I
might have lost it!
Materials needed
        --folder labelled "P.O.s outstanding"
        --folder labelled "P.O.s completed"
        --folder labelled "P.O.s to be paid"
        --heavy duty stapler
        --green ink pens (no one else uses green ink)
        --cheap ledger book (mine is looseleaf)

Set up a ledger page for each account.  Include account name, account
number, note on top line of any limitations (Grant -- folklore only).

Do orders by subject.  For example, order science materials separate from
history materials.  Makes it simpler to check for duplicates.

Write P.O. Account number should be listed on p.o.

Record p.o. in ledger on account page.
        date -- P.O. to Follett for science books -- p.o. number -- amount
        Mark off three blank lines for later notes on this p.o.

Staple teacher requests to your copy of p.o. and file in outstanding
folder.

When items arrive:
        -- Pull p.o.
        -- Check packing list, then staple to p.o.
        -- Use green ink to write notes on p.o.
                1st shipment received & date
                Item missing, title, called on date
                P.O. complete
                similar notes
        -- In ledger, under p.o. entry, note "date -- 1st shipment received".
        -- If all items received, note "all received" as part of ledger entry.
        -- File p.o. in outstanding or to be paid folder, as appropriate.

When invoices arrive:
        -- Pull p.o. from to be paid folder
        -- Check invoice
        -- Use green ink to write date & amount on p.o.
        -- Record amount of invoice in ledger
        -- Sign invoice & forward to bookkeeper for payment
        -- Attach copy of invoice to P.O. and file in complete folder
        -- If P.O. isn't in to be paid folder, follow same process but be
careful
        to return to outstanding file

You'll need the heavy duty stapler, but at least every bit of paper will
be together for easy reference.  The ledger is your private record, by
leaving space for notes, you'll be able to track progress without having
to dig through all the paperwork.  Takes some time, but worth it when
problems arise.

Johanna Halbeisen
Woodland Elementary School (preK-4)
Southwick, MA 01077