I found Jane Hohn's comments about Historical Fiction quite thought-provoking.
I have been concerned for some time at the tendency of current writers to
criticize  older historical fiction in light of modern experience and
political sensitivity.  I have even seen suggestions that such work as that of
Laura Ingalls Wilder be relegated to the dumpster because she voiced the
common opinion of those of her time and place.

While I would defend to the death (well almost) a book being attacked out of
the context of the time it was written, I had not thought about holding modern
authors accountable for causing their characters to express the viewpoints of
the times in which their stories are set.  Should they (the authors)  totally
ignore the perspective they gain from looking at the past in the light of the
future?  I don't think I know what I think about this, yet.   As a reader, I
certainly reserve the right to judge the characters in light of my own
experience, but as a lover of historical fiction, I do think I automatically
take the times at least somewhat into account in deciding how I feel about the
characters and their actions.  Hmmm. As I said, definitely food for thought.

Paula Neale, LMS
Ingels Elementary School
11400 Food Lane
Kansas City, Mo  64134