Hello,
A couple of you requested that I post information about helping the
school which was destroyed in the Birmingham area tornado recently.  I
called the Jefferson County Board of Education to ask about their
needs.  According to the information given to me, there were two
libraries in the building - one for elementary and one for secondary.
Nothing was left in the elementary library and probably not much will be
salvaged from the secondary library.  The librarian's home was hit by
the tornado, also.

I asked about donations of books or money.  They said that at this time
there is nowhere to store books.  The school will have to be rebuilt.  A
fund has been set up at a bank in the community for those wishing to
make monetary donations to the school or the library.  Those wishing to
donate to the library are requested to designate it for the library
rather than the general school fund.

The address for the bank managing the account is:

AmSouth Bank, Hueytown Branch
P.O. Box 3160
Hueytown, AL  35023

I have the name and phone number of the person handling the account and
talked with her today.  If you would like more information, I will be
glad to find out for you.

Thank you for your concern.
Carol
--