More responses:

Our school system has a full-time librarian in each of our four schools.
All of us, including the one aide that we share, are on ten-month
contracts.  I don't know how we would complete inventory, equipment
maintenance, and ordering if we were not on ten-month contracts.
---------------------------------
Our school system has a full-time librarian in each of our four schools.
All of us, including the one aide that we share, are on ten-month
contracts.  I don't know how we would complete inventory, equipment
maintenance, and ordering if we were not on ten-month contracts.
------------------------------------
My current contract is and always has been a ten month contract, a
regular teacher's contract. My payments are spread over twelve months.
---------------------------------------
What does that mean? Our contract in NJ is from Sept 1 to Je 30...as are all
the teachers. Would there be a change in your salary guide as opposed to the
teachers? Were you hired as a teacher/librarian with the same scale?
---------------------------------------
What are you on now?  In our county Elementry Schools are on a 10/10 and
Middle and High are on a 10/20 contract and find I could use even MORE
time.
---------------------------------------
I'm on an extended contract and appreciate the extra paid time to attend to
details before school begins and after it closes.  I usually use the time in
June to
do my budget planning for the next year, compile major orders, and write year-
end reports.
  In the Fall, the time is used to prepare new materials, learn how to operate
new equipment or computer software, make displays for opening day, etc.
We do not close early or open late.  We're open every day the students are
here.
Librarians in our school district work two weeks before the first teacher day
and also two weeks after the last teacher day.  This schedule allows us to
teach classes from the first day of school until the very last day of school.
We are able to use the after school time to complete our inventory, prepare AV
and shelves for summer, make repairs, prepare purchase orders, and get all our
end-of-the-year reports done.
        We use our two weeks before school to process new materials, get AV ready
for
teacher check-out, add students to our computer, and take inservice classes.
        This extra "work" timne allows us to give complete service to teachers and
students every school day, from the first day to the last day.
The best reason I can offer is that kids are in the LRC doing research the
last week of school and are ready to check out the first week of school.  I
stop check-outs the last week but that is the ONLY time I am down.  The still
come in for research, story time, etc.

I get so much work completed during my week after school and my 2 weeks before
school that frees me to work with kids immediately.

Good luck!

Do you mean that you would then work 4 weeks longer than teachers?  That is
what we do here in Fayette Co., KY.  It is great at the end of the school
year when we work 2 weeks beyond.  We can do inventory and purchasing for
next year after everyone is gone.  We don't need to close the library until
the last day.  The 2 weeks at the beginning of the school year are mostly
spent opening mail and decorating and planning for the year (not really any
more than a teacher would do).  As a librarian with children I personally
would rather we didn't come those 2 weeks.  We took a vote about 5 years ago
but the librarians as a group voted to keep all 4 weeks.I have been with my
school district for 22 years and have been on a
ten-month contract, or an almost ten-month contract ever since I started.
However, they are called extended-contract days, and the pay is the same at
the pay throughout the year.  When I first started all the head librarians
had 20 days whiched worked out to two weeks before school and two weeks
after.  Then there were budget cuts and twenty dropped to 15.  The last cut
dropped to 12 days.  Now our district is in debt and there is talk of
cutting out all extra contract days.  Go figure.

I'm retiring. Not because of that.  Good luck! I hope you get your extended
contract. I have always found it to be help.
In Fayetteville, Arkansas, we have been on a ten month contract
for many years.  We work 10 days before teachers return in the fall
and 10 days after school is out in the summer.  Our days and hours
are fairly flexible.  Most of us work out a schedule with out
building principals so that we work our contract days but can work
around family activities, trips, etc.  We are paid a pro rata salary
based on our years but only at the bachelor's level of education.
Those extra days are figured into our annual contract.  Most of us
spend those days doing inventory, state reports, orders, lesson
plans, weeding, forms, etc. - lots of the paper work we never get
around to during the school year.

Sue Kluger, Librarian
Ardmore High School,  Ardmore, AL
RKFett99@aol.com