I realize that a short note can't convey a library's philosophy, but I wonder
about your stress on senior's concerns for things like health.  Indeed, health is
a major concern, but I wonder if we librarians should not be stressing a
well-rounded lifestyle and materials and services to support that approach.  For
example, if I go to a library and want to learn basketball, can we provide a book
which doesn't show either a group of youngster on blacktop or a group of sleek
men/women in their early 30s on an indoor court?  I know, I know, who want to see
a plump grey-haired old fellow puffing his way along? But, I think we will be
having the same problem of always featuring muscle-bulging hunks smoking
cigarettes to our teenage boys or diet-deficient girls posing with the latest
panyhose for our girls.  Publishers, from what little I see over here, will be
more and more missing the point (and the $$$$) unless they start producing more
for the ever-growing senior market.

There's probably not much we can do about that, but as a librarian I would
certainly want to tackle the attitudes that our library has about other age
groups.  That little old lady coming through the door just might be more
interested in karate lessons than embroidery.

I deal mainly with grades 6 through 12.  What I have discovered over the years is
that there is a large population that, indeed, likes R.L.Stine, but there is also
a large population that would rather have a Dickens. Or that we do have to provide
areas that kids can sit and talk about something they've just discovered in the
collection.  So, at the other end of the age spectrum, I have to keep aware that
there are lots of factors that say to our users "You are very Welcome!" and we
don't try to stereotype any group.

Once again, thanks for the note, and thanks for taking the time to allow me to
spout off on one of my most favorite topics, providing realistic library services.

Earl.

--
Earl Sande, Upper School Librarian,
International School of Tanganyika,