Dear LM Netters,
I feel that I must respond to the library aide discussion in
partial agreement with Denise.    I struggle with this on
a daily basis in my job as I am the only librarian for seven schools
and therefore cannot do the best  job of providing students with what
they need.  I waiver between trying to "do it all" and having the
attitude that students will just have to suffer because the
corporation is "getting what they pay for."  The best way that I can
get through the day is to tell myself that some of the decisions that
should be totally mine have to be shared with library technicians
that work in those buildings every day.  In this way, students are
receiving better services, teachers feel they have more input, and
there is a more positive attitude toward the libraries in general.
Until our school corporation values library media more highly, this
is the way it must be.  When we refuse to help other "library
people" who need our help, we are hurting students and, ultimately,
ourselves.
IMHO,

Kim Carr
Elementary Library Media Coordinator